Jan 29, 2013, 1:00 PM EST
Nationals pitcher Gio Gonzalez was named in the Miami New Times report as a patient of the Biogenesis clinic. It should be noted that the clinic records do not tie Gonzalez with any drugs that are on the MLB banned list.
That said, he will still likely be subject to whatever further investigation MLB mounts. In light of that, he has issued a statement, reported in the Washington Times:
“I’ve never used performance-enhancing drugs of any kind, and I never will. I’ve never met or spoken with Tony Bosch or used any substances provided by him. Anything said to the contrary is a lie.”
Unfortunately, similar past statements of players associated with PEDs have either proven to be false themselves or have gone unheeded in the rush to convict players of PED use in the court of public opinion whether evidence exists or not.
We must, however, take Gonzalez at his word for now and not throw him into the pile of known PED users unless or until there is evidence to do so. I know many fans and members of the media can’t keep from doing so, but to do anything else is simply wrong.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 2
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 18
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 15
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 144
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 372
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (373)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (91)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)