Jan 29, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
Nationals pitcher Gio Gonzalez was named in the Miami New Times report as a patient of the Biogenesis clinic. It should be noted that the clinic records do not tie Gonzalez with any drugs that are on the MLB banned list.
That said, he will still likely be subject to whatever further investigation MLB mounts. In light of that, he has issued a statement, reported in the Washington Times:
“I’ve never used performance-enhancing drugs of any kind, and I never will. I’ve never met or spoken with Tony Bosch or used any substances provided by him. Anything said to the contrary is a lie.”
Unfortunately, similar past statements of players associated with PEDs have either proven to be false themselves or have gone unheeded in the rush to convict players of PED use in the court of public opinion whether evidence exists or not.
We must, however, take Gonzalez at his word for now and not throw him into the pile of known PED users unless or until there is evidence to do so. I know many fans and members of the media can’t keep from doing so, but to do anything else is simply wrong.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (235)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)