Jan 29, 2013, 1:00 PM EST
Nationals pitcher Gio Gonzalez was named in the Miami New Times report as a patient of the Biogenesis clinic. It should be noted that the clinic records do not tie Gonzalez with any drugs that are on the MLB banned list.
That said, he will still likely be subject to whatever further investigation MLB mounts. In light of that, he has issued a statement, reported in the Washington Times:
“I’ve never used performance-enhancing drugs of any kind, and I never will. I’ve never met or spoken with Tony Bosch or used any substances provided by him. Anything said to the contrary is a lie.”
Unfortunately, similar past statements of players associated with PEDs have either proven to be false themselves or have gone unheeded in the rush to convict players of PED use in the court of public opinion whether evidence exists or not.
We must, however, take Gonzalez at his word for now and not throw him into the pile of known PED users unless or until there is evidence to do so. I know many fans and members of the media can’t keep from doing so, but to do anything else is simply wrong.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 43
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 36
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 117
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)