Gio Gonzalez denies PED use

Jan 29, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT

gio gonzalez getty Getty Images

Nationals pitcher Gio Gonzalez was named in the Miami New Times report as a patient of the Biogenesis clinic.  It should be noted that the clinic records do not tie Gonzalez with any drugs that are on the MLB banned list.

That said, he will still likely be subject to whatever further investigation MLB mounts.  In light of that, he has issued a statement, reported in the Washington Times:

“I’ve never used performance-enhancing drugs of any kind, and I never will. I’ve never met or spoken with Tony Bosch or used any substances provided by him. Anything said to the contrary is a lie.”

Unfortunately, similar past statements of players associated with PEDs have either proven to be false themselves or have gone unheeded in the rush to convict players of PED use in the court of public opinion whether evidence exists or not.

We must, however, take Gonzalez at his word for now and not throw him into the pile of known PED users unless or until there is evidence to do so.  I know many fans and members of the media can’t keep from doing so, but to do anything else is simply wrong.

1. thebadguyswon - Jan 29, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Sure.

2. arungupta27 - Jan 29, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Lance Gonzalez

• unlost1 - Jan 29, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Luis Gonzalez in 2001 (57hr)

3. cur68 - Jan 29, 2013 at 1:08 PM

I think, in terms of public opinion, Gio’ll fly under the radar for the most part, unless there’s physical evidence. He just needs to stay in ARod’s massively enhanced shadow and he’ll be unnoticed by pretty much everyone. Still, keeping your head in the shadow of the centaur’s rear can have its hazards, too.

• historiophiliac - Jan 29, 2013 at 1:16 PM

You keep saying that about the physical evidence, but you don’t always need a smoking syringe. Just saying.

And, I’m going to leave keeping your head in the centaur’s rear alone…

4. goskinsvt - Jan 29, 2013 at 1:11 PM

” It should be noted that the clinic records do not tie Gonzalez with any drugs that are on the MLB banned list.”

This shouldn’t be a footnote, it should be the headline.

• elpendejo59 - Jan 29, 2013 at 1:27 PM

I was just typing out the same thing. This report links him only to legal supplements that are not banned under MLB’s drug policies. Unless something is revealed later that links Gio Gonzalez to actual PED purchases or use, it is really a shame that his name is even mentioned. So many people are going to skim through the many articles written about this and simply look for names that I think his reputation will be tarnished for, what as of now is, taking legal protein supplements. While it’s never good to be linked to a doctor like this, it is unfortunate that Gonzalez will likely be lumped in with the rest.

• dcfan4life - Jan 29, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Honostly based on what im seeing, most people are not throwing Gio under the bus. They are actually reading the details. In every article it notes immediately after naming him as a patient that theres no evidence on him using PEDs. Plus people like Gio, and a lot of people hate Arod. I think the publics focus is clear.

• elpendejo59 - Jan 29, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Hey, DCFan, I hope you are right. I live in South Florida and already heard the chatter. I went to a local sports grill type place. You know the kind, ESPN on every TV during lunch time. The place was buzzing with this talk and alot of what I was overhearing lumped everyone together. I hope people will actually read the articles, take in the facts, and go from there. But from what I have seen already, I am not going to hold my breath.

• dcfan4life - Jan 29, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Well thats discouraging. I hope all those same people go home and read some details.

• natstowngreg - Jan 29, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Discouraging, but not surprising. It’s easier to assume and hate than it is to think, or bother with the facts. If an investigation finds that Gio took PEDs, subject him to the punishment called for by the MLB Drug Policy.

• gerryb323 - Jan 29, 2013 at 2:01 PM

While what you say is true, Gio’s denial includes his saying that he never met or spoke with Bosch. Why deny that if what you did take was perfectly fine?

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jan 29, 2013 at 2:24 PM

If a MLB player hagning around a Sports Betting Parlor with zero betting slips, and no evidence of any bets wagered, what part do you think the headline would be?

5. chacochicken - Jan 29, 2013 at 1:18 PM

I like Gio, Leave him alone. In fact I was with him when he didn’t see that doctor. No seriously, Gio, don’t steal the last of my innocence.

• chacochicken - Jan 29, 2013 at 1:56 PM

I do like Gio, dammit. For the record I don’t think he used but one must admit that it is odd he denies meeting a doctor that did not issue him peds in the first place. Could it be a simple case of his father having interest in anti-aging? Sadly, the most logical explanation will be the least considered. I would like to hear from Melky and Bartolo. They are paying for there usage but did they even go to this guy?

6. losangelesfan - Jan 29, 2013 at 1:26 PM

That’s what they all say.

7. ame123 - Jan 29, 2013 at 1:39 PM

As a Phillies fan, I say a 50 game suspension would be too lenient for this bum!

• thomas844 - Jan 29, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Ruiz

• lepoc2635 - Jan 29, 2013 at 2:34 PM

As a Phillies fan, I say it’s comments like yours that makes everyone else hate us. Let’s wait until there’s some evidence before we crucify this kid.

8. jaybird22seven - Jan 29, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Guilty as charged !!!!!

9. thon - Jan 29, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Craig got played on this story, plain and simple. Any real reporter would see the red flags, and not declared it a “major, major story.” Dumb.

• historiophiliac - Jan 29, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Shall we compromise on “minor, major story”?

10. randygnyc - Jan 29, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Breaking- there are other MLB player names in addition to these that were released today, but they weren’t released yet because the details weren’t as substantiated according to the documents.

11. randygnyc - Jan 29, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Thon- there is more to this story than you think. The FEDS are now investigating. Sadly, this is no hoax. There are even more players, as yet unnamed.

12. cosanostra71 - Jan 29, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Just curious but why does he get the benefit of the doubt but a-rod doesn’t? I understand a-rod’s past but it seems to me if we are assuming one is guilty shouldn’t they all be?

• someguyinva - Jan 29, 2013 at 2:45 PM

“It should be noted that the clinic records do not tie Gonzalez with any drugs that are on the MLB banned list.”

So, either the clinic records are right, and Gio’s not guilty of anything other than lying about being at the clinic (which would be odd in this case, since there’s nothing linking him to banned substances), or the records are wrong, and Gio wasn’t a patient, and therefore isn’t guilty of anything.

If you want to assume he’s guilty, then what’s he guilty of?

• cosanostra71 - Jan 29, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Why is he being named then? I’m not insinuating anything, I’m just curious.

My point was more that if you consider one of them guilty, to remain consistent you should consider them all guilty, from A-Rod to Cruz to whoever else. I personally think they all should be considered innocent until proven guilty since that is how we (are supposed to) work in the US.

• someguyinva - Jan 29, 2013 at 3:12 PM

He’s being named because his name appears in the clinic’s records; however, those records only associate him with things that are not on the MLB banned list.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jan 29, 2013 at 3:16 PM

Following this logically – the clinical records have to be wrong, or in fact be naming somebody other then him (i.e. his father). He would not lie about never having been there if in fact he was there for legal purposes. Also, keep in mind, no where does this story claim that what was released is a complete record.

I have no idea what he did or did not do. But I do not believe that the story if that the patient mentioned is his father, and that his father was there for weight loss reasons. That is way too huge a coincidence. But again, I have noidea what the truth is

• pdowdy83 - Jan 29, 2013 at 4:41 PM

You may want to re-read his statement. He does not say that he has never been there. He simply says he has never met Tony Bosch.

13. stlouis1baseball - Jan 29, 2013 at 2:37 PM

It is now to the point I have become numb to all the bullsit.
    It truly doesn’t mean anything to me anymore. I mean that. I do not care about it.
    Who’s with me?

• historiophiliac - Jan 29, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Boooooo!!!

/throws popcorn

14. joejaws75 - Jan 29, 2013 at 2:43 PM

The downfall of the nats begins. Love it

• thebadguyswon - Jan 29, 2013 at 5:30 PM

They have to win something meaningful first before they have a downfall.

• bensonlukose - Jan 29, 2013 at 7:27 PM

whatever makes you sleep at night

15. joerymi - Jan 29, 2013 at 4:12 PM

I give him the benefit of the doubt, but it doesn’t look good that known and admitted past users Alex Rodriquez, Melky Cabrera and Bartolo Colon are tied to this clinic.

I would also like to know what benefit this clinic would have in simply making up records for a guy while they are doing real business.

16. coloradogolfcoupons - Jan 29, 2013 at 5:14 PM

“I never had sex with that sheep”….Bill Clinton.

OK, maybe I got the quote wrong, but even though I like Gio, why is he going, or his dad going, to buy LEGAL supplements from a guy already on MLB’s crap list? Why not buy legal supplements from a pharmacy or get them from the team doctor?

There is more to this story than we are reading here, but it will come out. It is even possible the ‘doctors’ here have secretly taped these bozo’s and are extorting them for shakedown money, who knows? It’s hard to believe a lot of this crap, but with Melky and Grandal and Colon already busted, and associated with this clinic, it is even money that these names are guilty and facing suspensions. I myself doubt the media’s intentions, but time will tell if they are true. If these players like Gio and Cruz are NOT guilty, they should have a MASSIVE libel/slander suit against this tabloid. If we don’t see any of them filing lawsuits, that alone may tell us something.

• djstanger - Jan 30, 2013 at 1:03 AM

What did his dad take?

17. rjmarrella - Jan 29, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Just don’t point your finger at congress, Gio

18. mojosmagic - Jan 30, 2013 at 8:57 AM

Just another cheater, what else is new.

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (4827)