Jan 29, 2013, 12:46 PM EDT
Hideki Okajima has been granted his release by the Softbank Hawks in Japan so that the 37-year-old reliever can pursue his plan of returning to MLB.
Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle reported yesterday that the A’s are among the teams interested in Okajima, who played five seasons for the Red Sox before heading back to Japan last year.
Okajima fell out of favor in Boston, spending most of 2011 in the minors, but he posted a 3.11 ERA for the Red Sox overall and had a 0.94 ERA in Japan last season after a minor-league deal with the Yankees was canceled due to shoulder problems.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (159)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)