Jan 29, 2013, 3:10 PM EDT
Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco has a brother named Mike Flacco who’s a minor leaguer in the Orioles’ farm system.
But as our friends over at ProFootballTalk noted today, Mike Flacco wants to switch sports:
The younger Flacco, who is 26, doesn’t want to play baseball at all anymore and is training in New Jersey to make the leap to the NFL. He hasn’t played football since high school, but has added 30 pounds of muscle to his 6-5 frame in hopes of interesting a team in his services as a tight end. … The last name should be enough to get him at least a chance to show what he can do as teams put together their 90-men rosters over the next few months. He’ll have to earn anything more than that on his own merit and it’s definitely a long shot that the 2013 NFL season will kick off with two Flaccos on the field.
Mike Flacco was a 31st-round draft pick in 2009 and has hit just .253 with a .378 slugging percentage in four seasons as a first baseman spent almost entirely in rookie-ball and Single-A, meaning his chances of reaching the big leagues were more or less equal to chances of playing in the NFL. So why not, basically.
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 96
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 66
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 51
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 104
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (105)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)