Jan 29, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
Jose Contreras defected from Cuba in 2002 while playing a game in Mexico. When he did that, and especially after signing a $32 million contract with the New York Yankees, he became persona non grata in Cuba. He, like all other defectors, were barred from returning home and labeled traitors.
But a change in Cuban law that went into effect last month allow defectors to return to Cuba to visit and eases restrictions on the comings and goings of residents. Contreras was the first big name athlete to take advantage of that law and recently returned home for the first time in a decade.
While the money and fame obviously make the decision of athletes who defect an understandable one, it’s hard to imagine how they live for years, even decades, without meaningful contact with their family. Here’s hoping we’ve seen the end of those days.
Apr 1, 2015, 8:34 PM EDT
Petit batted .278/.300/.423 with eight doubles and two home runs in 100 plate appearances last season for the Astros. He wasn’t going to make their Opening Day roster this spring, but the versatile 30-year-old infielder could be of immediate use to the Yankees …
Apr 1, 2015, 7:41 PM EDT
As first reported by Brian MacPherson of the Providence Journal, Red Sox catcher Christian Vazquez will undergo Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery on Thursday morning.
Apr 1, 2015, 7:07 PM EDT
Martinez wraps up the spring with a 2.86 ERA and 21 strikeouts in 22 innings. He was officially named the Cardinals’ fifth starter on Monday …
Apr 1, 2015, 6:12 PM EDT
Tigers setup man Bruce Rondon was supposed to make an appearance in Wednesday’s Cactus League game against the Padres, but he woke up with a sore shoulder and couldn’t shake the discomfort during pregame stretching.
Apr 1, 2015, 4:50 PM EDT
Jenna and I continue to preview the divisions. Next up: the NL East.
Apr 1, 2015, 4:26 PM EDT
Matuella started six games this season, throwing 25 innings with a 1.08 ERA and 24 strikeouts.
Apr 1, 2015, 4:15 PM EDT
With a new GM and questions surrounding the futures of Troy Tulowitzki and Carlos Gonzalez, where are the Rockies headed?
Apr 1, 2015, 3:58 PM EDT
Allen Craig hit one today. Yawn.
Apr 1, 2015, 3:03 PM EDT
Now you all will know when it is time to “MAKE SOME NOISE!!!!!!”
Apr 1, 2015, 2:14 PM EDT
Are we there yet?
Apr 1, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
Verlander has never been on the disabled list in his 10-year career.
Apr 1, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
The Phillies are going to be bad in 2015. But just how bad?
Apr 1, 2015, 11:50 AM EDT
Philadelphia’s pitching staff isn’t exactly stacked, but Gonzalez blew his chance to make the team by allowing 12 runs in 14 spring training innings.
Apr 1, 2015, 11:19 AM EDT
Rendon injured the knee on March 9.
Apr 1, 2015, 11:03 AM EDT
The Mets are locking up one of the best defensive center fielders in the game.
Apr 1, 2015, 10:47 AM EDT
If he crushes Triple-A pitching he’ll be back soon enough.
Apr 1, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
And it’s as random as it usually is.
Apr 1, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
Miami gave up left-hander Brian Flynn and minor leaguer Reid Redman to get Crow from Kansas City.
Apr 1, 2015, 9:46 AM EDT
Jenna and I talk about whether the Tigers can do it again.
Apr 1, 2015, 9:05 AM EDT
So don’t listen to the rumors about how it’s not fit for man nor beast nor Cubs fan.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 3
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 26
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)