Jan 29, 2013, 6:38 PM EDT
From MLB.com beat writer Greg Johns comes word that the Mariners have reached agreement on a major league contract with catcher Kelly Shoppach. The deal is pending a physical, which is scheduled to take place on Wednesday morning in Seattle.
Shoppach, a 32-year-old native of Fort Worth, Texas, batted .233/.309/.425 with eight homers, 14 doubles and 27 RBI over 245 plate appearances last season between the Red Sox and Mets. He will serve as an active backup in Seattle behind Jesus Montero, who is expected to continue getting regular starts at designated hitter in 2013.
There’s no word yet on the exact financial terms of Shoppach’s major league pact.
UPDATE, 7:15 PM: The one-year deal carries a $1.5 million base salary and another $500,000 worth of performance-based incentives, according to ESPN.com’s Jerry Crasnick.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17