Andy LaRoche has latched on with another team

Jan 30, 2013, 5:36 PM EDT

Andy LaRoche

As far as baseball relevance goes, Andy LaRoche isn’t high on the list these days.  It’s been years since he was a prospect. He turns 30 this year for Pete’s sake.

But I’m still fascinated by him, just as I’m fascinated by any guy who, for a time anyway, looked like a can’t-miss prospect. The guy has a line of .285/.372/.429 in the minors, and that was much higher back when he was on the cusp of the bigs. He looked like he was heading for great things.

What happened? Don’t know, but he’s had over 1,300 big league plate appearances to show something and he’s produced … nothing. One year in Pittsburgh of some promise, but nothing. He’s got a prime corner stool at the Quad-A Cafe with his name carved on it. When he walks in people yell “Andy!”

He’s getting another shot. He signed a minor league contract with the Blue Jays today.  He probably won’t sniff the bigs given how loaded Toronto is for 2013, but it’s another chance. It’s too late to expect that he’ll ever fulfill that promise, but he’ll still be around, making people like me wonder whatever happened to it.

1. Jon Weisman - Jan 30, 2013 at 5:43 PM

LaRoche had a significant thumb injury in Spring Training 2008. Never seemed to bounce back from that.

• tfbuckfutter - Jan 30, 2013 at 9:13 PM

I dropped a can of Hawaiian Punch on my foot in 1984. Left a scar.

That’s why my Olympic Trial times in the 300m were so bad.

2. tfbuckfutter - Jan 30, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Maybe he’s a late bloomer.

Or no one will give him A-Rod’s phone number.

3. albertmn - Jan 30, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Guys like LaRoche are why I have to shake my head a little when people flip out when teams trade prospects. An example is everyone going crazy that the Royals traded Wil Myers. Might Myers turn into a superstar Hall of Famer? Maybe. Is there also a decent chance that he turns into a guy like LaRoche? Sure. At a bare minimum, it has to be at least a 10-15% chance that even the most sure thing doesn’t pan out, whether due to injury, not adjusting to the majors, or some other issue.

No one knows exactly what a prospect will do when they get to the majors. Anyone that tells you differently is lying, likely lying to themselves as well. I can’t feel too sorry for a guy that has made over $1.8 million since 2008, though. I would take me decades to earn that at my current salary. Hope he saved most of it.

4. Minoring In Baseball - Jan 30, 2013 at 8:47 PM

I remember seeing him play quite a bit for the Jacksonville Suns back in 2005. He was a fan favorite there, and sure did play like a top prospect. All the best to him in the Jays system.

5. thebadguyswon - Jan 30, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Brandon Wood, Joel Guzman and Jeremy Hermida say hello.

6. lostsok - Jan 31, 2013 at 10:06 PM

Delmon Young says “Jew must be joking!”

Orioles turn AL East on its head