Jan 30, 2013, 5:36 PM EDT
As far as baseball relevance goes, Andy LaRoche isn’t high on the list these days. It’s been years since he was a prospect. He turns 30 this year for Pete’s sake.
But I’m still fascinated by him, just as I’m fascinated by any guy who, for a time anyway, looked like a can’t-miss prospect. The guy has a line of .285/.372/.429 in the minors, and that was much higher back when he was on the cusp of the bigs. He looked like he was heading for great things.
What happened? Don’t know, but he’s had over 1,300 big league plate appearances to show something and he’s produced … nothing. One year in Pittsburgh of some promise, but nothing. He’s got a prime corner stool at the Quad-A Cafe with his name carved on it. When he walks in people yell “Andy!”
He’s getting another shot. He signed a minor league contract with the Blue Jays today. He probably won’t sniff the bigs given how loaded Toronto is for 2013, but it’s another chance. It’s too late to expect that he’ll ever fulfill that promise, but he’ll still be around, making people like me wonder whatever happened to it.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 25
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 252
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 4
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 43
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (252)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (157)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)