Jan 30, 2013, 5:36 PM EDT
As far as baseball relevance goes, Andy LaRoche isn’t high on the list these days. It’s been years since he was a prospect. He turns 30 this year for Pete’s sake.
But I’m still fascinated by him, just as I’m fascinated by any guy who, for a time anyway, looked like a can’t-miss prospect. The guy has a line of .285/.372/.429 in the minors, and that was much higher back when he was on the cusp of the bigs. He looked like he was heading for great things.
What happened? Don’t know, but he’s had over 1,300 big league plate appearances to show something and he’s produced … nothing. One year in Pittsburgh of some promise, but nothing. He’s got a prime corner stool at the Quad-A Cafe with his name carved on it. When he walks in people yell “Andy!”
He’s getting another shot. He signed a minor league contract with the Blue Jays today. He probably won’t sniff the bigs given how loaded Toronto is for 2013, but it’s another chance. It’s too late to expect that he’ll ever fulfill that promise, but he’ll still be around, making people like me wonder whatever happened to it.
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 23
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 22
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 24
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 68
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 44
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 217
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (217)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)