Jan 30, 2013, 5:36 PM EST
As far as baseball relevance goes, Andy LaRoche isn’t high on the list these days. It’s been years since he was a prospect. He turns 30 this year for Pete’s sake.
But I’m still fascinated by him, just as I’m fascinated by any guy who, for a time anyway, looked like a can’t-miss prospect. The guy has a line of .285/.372/.429 in the minors, and that was much higher back when he was on the cusp of the bigs. He looked like he was heading for great things.
What happened? Don’t know, but he’s had over 1,300 big league plate appearances to show something and he’s produced … nothing. One year in Pittsburgh of some promise, but nothing. He’s got a prime corner stool at the Quad-A Cafe with his name carved on it. When he walks in people yell “Andy!”
He’s getting another shot. He signed a minor league contract with the Blue Jays today. He probably won’t sniff the bigs given how loaded Toronto is for 2013, but it’s another chance. It’s too late to expect that he’ll ever fulfill that promise, but he’ll still be around, making people like me wonder whatever happened to it.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 31
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 34
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 116
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 46
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)