Jan 30, 2013, 9:39 AM EST
Believe it or not, there are players besides Alex Rodriguez subject to MLB’s investigation of the Biogenesis clinic. Players like Nelson Cruz, whose loss due to a suspension would be a way more significant to the Rangers than A-Rod’s would be to the Yankees (heck, A-Rod could serve his suspension while on the disabled list, Edinson Volquez-style).
But even if the Rangers do face the loss of Cruz, T.R. Sullivan reports that they’re not gonna panic:
No, the Rangers have not renewed their interest in free agent outfielder Michael Bourn, according to industry sources. Even if the Rangers do lose Cruz until the beginning of June, the plan is still to go with what they have right now.
Probably helps that, if discipline does come to Cruz over this, it will likely take a few months for it to happen. Makes perfect sense in my view not to panic to the tune of $80 million or whatever it is Bourn wants these days.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (116)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)