Jan 30, 2013, 9:39 AM EST
Believe it or not, there are players besides Alex Rodriguez subject to MLB’s investigation of the Biogenesis clinic. Players like Nelson Cruz, whose loss due to a suspension would be a way more significant to the Rangers than A-Rod’s would be to the Yankees (heck, A-Rod could serve his suspension while on the disabled list, Edinson Volquez-style).
But even if the Rangers do face the loss of Cruz, T.R. Sullivan reports that they’re not gonna panic:
No, the Rangers have not renewed their interest in free agent outfielder Michael Bourn, according to industry sources. Even if the Rangers do lose Cruz until the beginning of June, the plan is still to go with what they have right now.
Probably helps that, if discipline does come to Cruz over this, it will likely take a few months for it to happen. Makes perfect sense in my view not to panic to the tune of $80 million or whatever it is Bourn wants these days.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 37
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 83
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 36
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (94)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)