Jan 30, 2013, 9:39 AM EDT
Believe it or not, there are players besides Alex Rodriguez subject to MLB’s investigation of the Biogenesis clinic. Players like Nelson Cruz, whose loss due to a suspension would be a way more significant to the Rangers than A-Rod’s would be to the Yankees (heck, A-Rod could serve his suspension while on the disabled list, Edinson Volquez-style).
But even if the Rangers do face the loss of Cruz, T.R. Sullivan reports that they’re not gonna panic:
No, the Rangers have not renewed their interest in free agent outfielder Michael Bourn, according to industry sources. Even if the Rangers do lose Cruz until the beginning of June, the plan is still to go with what they have right now.
Probably helps that, if discipline does come to Cruz over this, it will likely take a few months for it to happen. Makes perfect sense in my view not to panic to the tune of $80 million or whatever it is Bourn wants these days.
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 7
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 83
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 75
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 59
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (87)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (76)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)