Jan 30, 2013, 9:39 AM EST
Believe it or not, there are players besides Alex Rodriguez subject to MLB’s investigation of the Biogenesis clinic. Players like Nelson Cruz, whose loss due to a suspension would be a way more significant to the Rangers than A-Rod’s would be to the Yankees (heck, A-Rod could serve his suspension while on the disabled list, Edinson Volquez-style).
But even if the Rangers do face the loss of Cruz, T.R. Sullivan reports that they’re not gonna panic:
No, the Rangers have not renewed their interest in free agent outfielder Michael Bourn, according to industry sources. Even if the Rangers do lose Cruz until the beginning of June, the plan is still to go with what they have right now.
Probably helps that, if discipline does come to Cruz over this, it will likely take a few months for it to happen. Makes perfect sense in my view not to panic to the tune of $80 million or whatever it is Bourn wants these days.
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 13
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 130
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 38
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 15
- Rockies trade Dexter Fowler to Astros for Jordan Lyles 23