Jan 30, 2013, 11:33 AM EDT
I realize ESPN reader polls aren’t scientific, but check this one out:
Baseball’s confrontation with PEDs has been long and loud and public. It’s the sport where people get hung up on the integrity of the record book way more than any other and where people get hung up on their relationship with the sport as a child more than any other, looking for heroes and purity and wallowing in more nostalgia. Most importantly, in recent years, baseball has also had the most rigorous testing and enforcement program of all the major sports, leading to more positives, more discipline and more news stories. In light of that I understand how one might be tricked into thinking that baseball has the most widespread drug use.
That said: for people to actually think that that baseball has a bigger PED problem than football, and by such margins, is flippin’ crazypants.
This is the hidden data problem, or some variation of it, in action. We see things when they happen. We don’t see things when they don’t happen. We don’t see NFL players get busted for PEDs, so they must not be taking them, the thinking goes.
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 14
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 75
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)