Jan 30, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
Gary Tuck resigning as Red Sox bullpen coach for personal reasons led to some speculation that Jason Varitek might be looked at to replace him on short notice, but apparently that’s not going to happen.
Alex Speier of WEEI.com talked to a source and reports “it does not appear that Varitek is being considered–or even wants to be considered–for a full-time return to uniform.”
Varitek remains in the organization as a special assistant to the front office, but Speier notes that in retiring he wanted to spend more time with his family and jumping back in as a coach would ruin that.
All of which means the Red Sox are looking for a new bullpen coach with two weeks until spring training.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (109)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)