Jan 30, 2013, 2:01 PM EDT
Heyman reports that Team USA still has a shot at its ace:
Though Tigers ace Justin Verlander hasn’t made a final decision, there is said to be new optimism that Verlander will join the Team USA for the WBC, baseball sources said. Verlander will decide by February 20 whether he can take a final pitching spot on the USA team.
I’m sure the Tigers would love for him to not do that. To so strenuously not do that that he suffers some non-specific shoulder soreness after a week of workouts so as to require his bowing out of the WBC.
Not that I’m predicting anything.
- Rays play Saturday’s game against the Blue Jays under protest 9
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 10
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 5
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 33
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 242
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 96
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (242)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)