Justin Verlander still considering pitching in the World Baseball Classic

Jan 30, 2013, 2:01 PM EDT

Detroit Tigers v Oakland Athletics - Game Five Getty Images

Heyman reports that Team USA still has a shot at its ace:

Though Tigers ace Justin Verlander hasn’t made a final decision, there is said to be new optimism that Verlander will join the Team USA for the WBC, baseball sources said. Verlander will decide by February 20 whether he can take a final pitching spot on the USA team.

I’m sure the Tigers would love for him to not do that. To so strenuously not do that that he suffers some non-specific shoulder soreness after a week of workouts so as to require his bowing out of the WBC.

Not that I’m predicting anything.

1. historiophiliac - Jan 30, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Now that he’s taking those Upton pills, he figures he can do anything….and DD will use the DL if necessary, just as he does when he needs put Leyland in time out.

2. fanofevilempire - Jan 30, 2013 at 2:41 PM

will Kate Upton be there in a bikini, that’s all I want to know.

3. thebadguyswon - Jan 30, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Im not even a Tigers fan, but this stuff makes me sick. This tournament is a meaningless joke.

4. halohonk - Jan 30, 2013 at 7:57 PM

I cant believe teams would let their guys play in this bs exhibition and risk some fluck injury. Im glad Albert isn’t playing.

5. joerymi - Jan 30, 2013 at 10:56 PM

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

– Tigers fans

6. cktai - Jan 31, 2013 at 3:11 AM

Enlighten me how this would be worse than any spring training match, especially with the adjusted pitching limits?

In fact why not list the pitchers who previously got injured while playing on the World Baseball Classic, because I can think of only one.

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (5384)