MLB will interview players named in Miami New Times story

Jan 30, 2013, 8:29 PM EDT

alex rodriguez getty Getty Images

According to Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports, Major League Baseball officials are planning to hold face-to-face interviews with all of the players named in this week’s Miami New Times story. That includes Alex Rodriguez, Nelson Cruz, Gio Gonzalez, Melky Cabrera, Bartolo Colon and Yasmani Grandal.

MLB officials are hoping first to obtain documents from New Times editors that originally tied those players to performance-enhancing use. Those documents include handwritten records from the Miami-based Biogenisis clinic, some of which have already been published on the New Times website.

All of this could eventually lead to formal PED suspensions for those players. And others.

New Times editor-in-chief Chuck Strouse told Passan that his publication has held off on including the names of some players linked to Biogensis because he couldn’t confirm enough of the details that were sent to his desk. Major League Baseball could stage its own investigation if Strouse provides those names.

1. halohonk - Jan 30, 2013 at 9:09 PM

Now the dominoes will start to fall. Publish all the names. Lets see what teams are gonna take the biggest hits. Yankees, Texas, Nationals who else? Lets clean up this great game of ours once and for all.

• protius - Feb 2, 2013 at 1:27 AM

Stop. Your pretentiousness is palpable.

2. dawglb - Jan 30, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Amen!

3. tfbuckfutter - Jan 30, 2013 at 9:12 PM

So 33% of the names leaked have actually tested positive and served suspensions?

I think that’s enough to assume guilt amongst the rest.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jan 30, 2013 at 9:42 PM

It is not enough to assume guilt. It is enough to ask tough questions, such as “why did you choose this doctor?”, and “what exactly did he prescribe for you?”

• cur68 - Jan 30, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Um, how is that enough to “assume guilt amongst the rest”? The “leak” is handwritten notes.

Watch this: “I sold Derek Jeter and Tim Tebow testosterone extract from the pineal glands of monitor lizards. I sold the same stuff to Manny Ramirez”. That’s now published on a “news” site. So that’s 33% already suspended for PEDs violation previously ∴ based on my* says so and having named others with a history, the other two MUST also be guilty?

Couldn’t we wait to establish the authenticity of these “notes” before shit-canning people?

I’d sure hate to think of a system where such flimsy evidence was taken as proof.

*DISCLAIMER: I have access to steroids through my job, and a long and rich history of giving them to people, so its reasonable to conclude I could get this “testosterone” and could sell it.

• tfbuckfutter - Jan 30, 2013 at 10:09 PM

“Thats a lot of smoke. It is definitely coming from one room, and looks like it is coming from that other room as well….but let’s just assume there is no fire and see what happens.”

• cur68 - Jan 30, 2013 at 10:15 PM

A false equivalence is still false.

If it were you named along with Melky, Bartolo and Co. wouldn’t you want this evidence vetted a bit first before having everyone in the press condemning you?

• tfbuckfutter - Jan 30, 2013 at 10:20 PM

If it were me named along with Melky and Bartolo……I WOULD ALSO PROBABLY BE GUILTY.

The only reason I would fight it would be posturing.

• cur68 - Jan 30, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Based on some handwritten notes? You’d be a fool to cop to such flimsy evidence.

• tfbuckfutter - Jan 30, 2013 at 10:20 PM

Guilt by association may not be enough to convict in a court of law….but in reality it is EASILY 95% reliable.

• cur68 - Jan 30, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Prove it.

• cur68 - Jan 30, 2013 at 10:27 PM

The fact is you are trafficking in hearsay. This is all hearsay until MLB comes out with their take on the veracity of the evidence and SOME BETTER EVIDENCE. So far its some handwritten notes published in a newspaper. So what? I could publish some handwritten notes and I have the background to make selling steroid claims seem “truthy”. THIS DOES NOT ESTABLISH TRUTH.

• tfbuckfutter - Jan 30, 2013 at 10:32 PM

You’re confusing multiple levels of judgment.

Court of criminal law = Beyond reasonable doubt
        Court of civil law = More likely than not
        Court of public opinion = Probably

2 of those 3 are satisfied just by the preponderance of evidences available currently in this situation. The third can’t be satisfied without an admission or a dirty test….neither of which is likely to ever happen…..except that is actually did in a statistically significant sample of the available pool.

• antifreeze27 - Jan 30, 2013 at 10:43 PM

I was under the impression that the names being published was the result of a several-month long investigation. Not exactly like some paper ran the story solely on the doctor’s handwritten notes without checking it out first.

• tfbuckfutter - Jan 30, 2013 at 10:55 PM

I have a close friend who grows and sells very high quality pot. I have many times smoked that marijuana with him.

I don’t take issue with people seeing my friendship with him and assuming I am also engaged in the behavior he actively engages in.

If I didn’t want people to think I was engaged in that behavior, I wouldn’t associate with him.

And if someone became aware of that relationship, who could negatively impact my life in some way said “Hey, it’s suspicious that you’re friends with that guy” I would say “It’s totally an innocent relationship and anything shady he’s involved with has nothing to do with me.”

Most people have a bad influence friend. That is why they know where there is smoke there is also fire.

• Reflex - Jan 31, 2013 at 1:21 AM

I also have a friend who grows high quality pot. I personally am strongly opposed to the use of drugs outside of a medicinal context. However I am certain there are things in life that I choose to engage in that some of my friends disapprove of, just as there are things in my friends lives that I disapprove of. I do not base friendships on how close to cloning my morals and ethics someone comes.

And yes, I would take offense if someone simply assumed I smoke dope because one of my close friends does. Chances are high that virtually everyone in the nation knows someone who smokes dope.

By the same token, as pointed out previously, some of the players on the list had their meds listed. Not all of them included illegal drugs. Gio Gonzalez, for instance, had nothing illegal in the list of supplements he was purchasing. It strongly appears that this clinic, like many in its industry, had a legal side to its business, and a backroom portion where illegal drugs were provided. As a result, simply assuming that every customer was receiving illegal drugs ignores the facts of the case as they have been revealed so far.

• eSensei - Jan 31, 2013 at 4:36 AM

Um. A-Rod has admitted to use, but placed it in the past. The new information is the documentation that he has used -since- that admission/lie.

I would say that combined with his own admissions, it is far more credible. At this point, MLB should be asking him some -extremely- tough questions.

No – He is by no means proven guilty, but I’d vote to indict.

• protius - Feb 2, 2013 at 2:17 AM

The Court of Public Opinion has never, in any way been associated with justice, or virtue, or the American way of life.

It is the citadel of rumor and unconfirmed reports; it is the place where people go to have their reputations destroyed by baseless, subjective opinion, wielded by grotesque, self-righteous harpies who have given up their critical thinking skills, for a chance to feed at the trough of ignorance.

It is clear, buckfutter that you have gorged yourself there, and that the feast has rotted your brain. Now, you can never write enough paragraphs to explain away your stupidity, because you have chiseled it in granite.

To embrace guilt by association as a reasonable means for people to judge one and other, is to say that the accused may be hanged before the jury returns with a verdict.

Wise up, buckfutter. The smoke you see coming from that room, comes from the pipes of an Indian Chief’s convention.

4. bigharold - Jan 30, 2013 at 9:22 PM

Not all the names, .. again?

5. historiophiliac - Jan 30, 2013 at 10:09 PM

That’s a nice jacket. I bet he borrowed it from Sammy Sosa.

6. halohonk - Jan 30, 2013 at 10:19 PM

Seems like all latin ballplayers. Whats the deal with that? No comprede?

• Old Gator - Jan 30, 2013 at 10:50 PM

You no leev in Macondo, ees what. For me, ees easy to feegure.

7. chacochicken - Jan 30, 2013 at 11:19 PM

I hope that the clinic tried to peddle the notes to a sports memorabilia guy first, got turned down, added a few names and sent it in to the Times.

8. chill1184 - Jan 31, 2013 at 12:16 AM

Oh this will be good

9. dcarroll73 - Jan 31, 2013 at 8:28 AM

If these “records” were copied from health organizations, isn’t this access and disclosure likely to be a HIPAA violation, a federal crime? Personally I am more concerned about this than I am about who did what drug.

10. blovy8 - Jan 31, 2013 at 11:01 AM

It seems like a bookie’s notebook, meant to be personal records to protect the supplier and keep track of debts and “off the record” inventory. The thing that makes it weird for Gio is that if these are legal supplements for his dad, why put them in the journal and not just bill the guy normally?

• bh192012 - Jan 31, 2013 at 3:01 PM

My guess is everyone involved knows this doctor may offer steroids, so Gio didn’t want his name on his books. I can imagine a consult where the doctor offered steroids and Gio asked if he had something that could help, but that’s not on the official banned list.

All the trade deadline news to know