Jan 30, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
Notice something? Every reporter who has sources with the Yankees is floating the “A-Rod could just quit and the Yankees could collect insurance money” line. Brace yourselves, but it’s almost as if these guys are parroting Randy Levine and Lonn Trost’s most desperate fever dreams rather than, you know, applying an ounce of critical thinking to the matter.
Teams don’t insure a lot of position players but the Yankees wisely insured A-Rod’s record $275-million pact, and word is significant missed time could result in the Yankees recovering 80 percent of the bucks due A-Rod, provided the insurer doesn’t put up its own stink.
“Put up its own stink.” Classic, complete with an implied “this is a great plan as long as those lame insurance companies don’t kill our buzz with their irrational objections.”
The implied “they might not put up their own stink” is great too. Because insurance companies love nothing more than to pay out nine-figure claims, made with dubious-at-best motives. They wouldn’t fight this, nah never. They’re always looking for a way to get the policyholder the money they ask for. Paying it forward and such.
God, I’m gonna go listen to “God Bless America” and cry patriotic tears now.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 10
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 46
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 25
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (109)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)