Jan 30, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
Notice something? Every reporter who has sources with the Yankees is floating the “A-Rod could just quit and the Yankees could collect insurance money” line. Brace yourselves, but it’s almost as if these guys are parroting Randy Levine and Lonn Trost’s most desperate fever dreams rather than, you know, applying an ounce of critical thinking to the matter.
Teams don’t insure a lot of position players but the Yankees wisely insured A-Rod’s record $275-million pact, and word is significant missed time could result in the Yankees recovering 80 percent of the bucks due A-Rod, provided the insurer doesn’t put up its own stink.
“Put up its own stink.” Classic, complete with an implied “this is a great plan as long as those lame insurance companies don’t kill our buzz with their irrational objections.”
The implied “they might not put up their own stink” is great too. Because insurance companies love nothing more than to pay out nine-figure claims, made with dubious-at-best motives. They wouldn’t fight this, nah never. They’re always looking for a way to get the policyholder the money they ask for. Paying it forward and such.
God, I’m gonna go listen to “God Bless America” and cry patriotic tears now.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 6
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 18
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 58
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)