Jan 30, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
Notice something? Every reporter who has sources with the Yankees is floating the “A-Rod could just quit and the Yankees could collect insurance money” line. Brace yourselves, but it’s almost as if these guys are parroting Randy Levine and Lonn Trost’s most desperate fever dreams rather than, you know, applying an ounce of critical thinking to the matter.
Teams don’t insure a lot of position players but the Yankees wisely insured A-Rod’s record $275-million pact, and word is significant missed time could result in the Yankees recovering 80 percent of the bucks due A-Rod, provided the insurer doesn’t put up its own stink.
“Put up its own stink.” Classic, complete with an implied “this is a great plan as long as those lame insurance companies don’t kill our buzz with their irrational objections.”
The implied “they might not put up their own stink” is great too. Because insurance companies love nothing more than to pay out nine-figure claims, made with dubious-at-best motives. They wouldn’t fight this, nah never. They’re always looking for a way to get the policyholder the money they ask for. Paying it forward and such.
God, I’m gonna go listen to “God Bless America” and cry patriotic tears now.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 44
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 59
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 91
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (92)