Jan 30, 2013, 7:14 PM EDT
MLB.com’s Evan Drellich reports that Red Sox outfielder Ryan Kalish underwent surgery Tuesday in Los Angeles to repair a labrum tear in his right (non-throwing) shoulder. The procedure — performed by Dr. Lewis Yocum — was deemed a success.
“I really am feeling the love on my surgery today. I really appreciate all of you,” Kalish wrote on his personal Twitter page a few hours after going under the knife. He’s not expected to be ready for the start of spring training but should make a full recovery by the end of April.
Kalish batted just .229/.272/.260 with zero home runs and five RBI in 103 plate appearances last season for the Red Sox. But the 24-year-old is a former top prospect, has done some nice things in the minor leagues, and could see action as a reserve outfielder this summer in Boston if all goes well in his rehab.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)