Jan 30, 2013, 6:01 PM EST
As their new, most excellent consultant Tangotiger points out, the Cubs are on the prowl for a new Director of Research & Development — Baseball Operations. Which is good news for some lucky person out there. All the Cubs are asking for is…
- Advanced degree or equivalent experience in statistics, mathematics, computer science, or a related quantitative field.
- Demonstrated project management, problem-solving, and teaching abilities.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate difficult and complex concepts at an appropriate level to colleagues possessing a wide range of backgrounds and perspectives.
- Demonstrated expert-level knowledge (of at least 5 years) with baseball-specific data, modern statistical techniques, and sabermetric analysis.
- Demonstrated expertise with R, STATA, SPSS, SAS, or similar software.
- Demonstrated expertise with SQL Server, Microsoft Access, My SQL, Oracle, database administration/structuring, data warehousing and data modeling.
- Knowledge and demonstrated ability in the areas of programming, software-coding, ETL, and/or machine learning techniques.
So, yeah, I’m out. I’ve got plenty of SAS and I do have a reputation as a bit of an oracle, but when it comes to programming, even the TI-83 kicked my butt.
The real stumbling block there, however, might be No. 3. The kind of people with the type of knowledge this job requires aren’t always the best at presenting it to the rest of us.
But best of luck to the Cubs and their likely strategy of offering said person one-fifth of what he/she could make at a Fortune 500 company. And then hiring them anyway because everyone wants to work in baseball.
Mar 4, 2015, 7:17 PM EST
It was an enjoyable first day of Cactus League competition for Dodgers prospect Joc Pederson.
Mar 4, 2015, 6:22 PM EST
He successfully rehabbed a torn UCL in his right elbow last season and the Yankees’ fingers remain crossed that the 26-year-old from Japan will be able to avoid Tommy John elbow reconstructive surgery.
Mar 4, 2015, 4:50 PM EST
Mar 4, 2015, 4:18 PM EST
While it’s clear that the two do not see eye to eye, Billy Bean is choosing to look on the bright side of yesterday’s comments from Daniel Murphy.
Mar 4, 2015, 3:54 PM EST
A-Rod singled in his first at-bat.
Mar 4, 2015, 3:20 PM EST
What’s a churro dog, you ask? Click, my pretties. Click!
Mar 4, 2015, 1:26 PM EST
Athletes oftentimes, don’t see reporters as people. Reporters, oftentimes, don’t see athletes as people. Reporters, however have a duty of objectivity athletes don’t have.
Mar 4, 2015, 12:26 PM EST
He’ll miss at least a week.
Mar 4, 2015, 11:47 AM EST
The move leaves Craig Gentry and Sam Fuld to platoon in center field.
Mar 4, 2015, 11:20 AM EST
Billingsley hasn’t pitched in a big-league game since way back in April of 2013.
Mar 4, 2015, 11:05 AM EST
Today’s news sucks for Joel Hanrahan, but it’s a good basis for an explainer.
Mar 4, 2015, 10:52 AM EST
Wieters underwent Tommy John elbow surgery in June.
Mar 4, 2015, 10:15 AM EST
Now that David Price is out of the picture the Rays need a new Opening Day starter.
Mar 4, 2015, 9:59 AM EST
. . . it’s worth remembering that Schilling himself has some issues when it comes to sensitivity and enlightenment on social media.
Mar 4, 2015, 9:30 AM EST
Let us applaud one writer’s brave effort to battle the beast that is A-Rod Derangement Syndrome.
Mar 4, 2015, 9:03 AM EST
Juan Marichal’s got nothin’ on this pitcher from Murray State.
Mar 4, 2015, 8:24 AM EST
Terrible news that will keep Joel Hanrahan off the mound for at least another year.
Mar 4, 2015, 6:54 AM EST
I wasn’t aware that one could “disagree” with facts. But there we are.
Mar 3, 2015, 10:57 PM EST
It was a successful afternoon in pretty much every way at Fenway South. Except maybe one …
Mar 3, 2015, 9:44 PM EST
The expectation is that he will have to sit out the entire 2015 season.
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 1
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 1
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 341
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (343)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Report: Josh Hamilton could get a suspension of “at least 25 games” (71)