Jan 31, 2013, 1:50 PM EDT
Back in December the Brewers signed right-hander Alfredo Figaro to a minor-league deal, except it turned out he was still under contract with the Orix Buffaloes in Japan.
So they put things on hold and his agent negotiated a release from Orix, which finally happened officially today as the Brewers announced the signing.
Figaro, who pitched briefly in the majors for the Tigers in 2009 and 2010, gets an invitation to spring training as part of the minor-league deal. In two seasons with Orix the 28-year-old right-hander threw 188 innings with a 3.31 ERA and 127/55 K/BB ratio.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)