Jan 31, 2013, 10:18 PM EST
According to Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun, the Orioles turned back the clock by holding workouts for left-hander Arthur Rhodes and infielder Fernando Tatis in recent days. And you thought the Orioles’ offseason has been boring.
Rhodes didn’t pitch in the majors last season and had a 4.64 ERA and 21/11 K/BB ratio over 33 innings between the Rangers and Cardinals in 2011. The 43-year-old was originally drafted by the Orioles in the second round in 1988 and spent his first nine major league seasons with the club. He still lives in Baltimore.
It’s been even longer since Tatis’ last stint in the majors, as the 38-year-old appeared in 41 games with the Mets in 2010 prior to undergoing surgery to repair a torn labrum in his shoulder. Best known as the only player to hit two grand slams in one inning, Tatis had a brief stint with the Orioles back in 2006.
It wouldn’t cost more than a minor league deal to bring either player aboard, so it’s worth a shot. Who knows, maybe Tatis will be the 2013 version of Lew Ford.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 70
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 40
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 21
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 15
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)