Deep Thoughts: MLB Network and Miami edition

Jan 31, 2013, 12:04 PM EDT

Newman Seinfeld

Some random thoughts from a busy morning:

• I was on MLB Network’s Hot Stove this morning talking about A-Rod. In a lot of ways I was presented as the heel, in the pro wrestling sense. Or, as host Matt Vasgersian put it, I was the Newman to Ken Rosenthal’s Seinfeld. Which is about right, I think. Not gonna lie: it was a lot of fun;
  • Big kudos to Rosenthal for being awesome. He and I fight a lot, most recently yesterday when I accused him of joining in with the “the Yankees and A-Rod should commit insurance fraud” camp.  They brought Ken in on the show when I was on and we talked about that. But we also talked about the back and forth he and I have sometimes on Twitter and elsewhere. He gave me credit for being right about things sometimes, I owned up to firing before I aim sometimes.  I think it sums up the somewhat adversarial relationship I have with a lot of people in the media pretty well. Funny that Ken understands that when I’m critical I’m not being personal and that he and I can get along just fine despite that dynamic. Funny that others can’t make that distinction.
  • That said, I was a bit taken aback seeing Rosenthal in a plaid shirt and no tie. Never seen him without a jacket. Not gonna lie: Bob Villa-Rosenthal was kind of unnerving.
  • In the segment after that, Peter Gammons spoke about how many in Major League Baseball are trying to steer their players away from living and hanging around in Miami due to the culture down there as epitomized by the Biogenesis Clinic business.  Deep question: which is more harmful to baseball: the Miami Biogenesis Clinic, or the Miami Marlins.  I’m gonna go with the Marlins.

OK, back to your regularly scheduled blogging.

1. yankeepunk3000 - Jan 31, 2013 at 12:13 PM

I didn’t catch the telecast anyone know where I can see it online? any links attached? Damn work and life responsibilities!!!! I want to see baseball news!!!!

• indaburg - Jan 31, 2013 at 1:57 PM

At 4pm eastern time, MLBN airs a recording of the morning’s Hot Stove. It’s a condensed version so I don’t know if Craig’s bit will be on.

2. manute - Jan 31, 2013 at 12:13 PM

And Eric Byrnes is Banya.

• eshine76 - Jan 31, 2013 at 12:53 PM

I think of Eric Byrnes as Diamond Dave

• eshine76 - Jan 31, 2013 at 12:59 PM

On the Bania note, I imagine someone like Brian Kenny saying “that was Gold, Kenny, GOLD!!” after every Ken Rosenthal appearance.

3. APBA Guy - Jan 31, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Great picture, as always. A little appreciated talent of yours, choosing the complementary photo.

4. djdvd - Jan 31, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Maybe this will make pro sports teams see that Vegas isn’t so bad places that have teams are already worse.

• Old Gator - Jan 31, 2013 at 12:30 PM

That’s all bullshit. Miami is a perfectly fine place to live – it’s just that, owing to a preponderance of motorists from an unnamed large island about a hundred miles south of there, it’s not a very safe place to drive.

• heyblueyoustink - Jan 31, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Key West?

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jan 31, 2013 at 1:06 PM

There’s no f’ing way Long Island is 100mi south of Miami OG, come on!

• Old Gator - Jan 31, 2013 at 1:12 PM

@heyblue: large island.

• heyblueyoustink - Jan 31, 2013 at 1:14 PM

With that being said, Church, the Cross Bronx Expressway for the first time was one of the most frightening experiences of my life.

• Old Gator - Jan 31, 2013 at 1:19 PM

@church: no one from Lon Gisland comes to Macondo anymore. They stay north of the US border now – Fort Lauderdale, Boca, Deray, West Palm….those drivers from the unnamed large island about a hundred miles south of here drove them out.

Hell, they even scared the Boston drivers off the road.

How do I get around here then, you ask? Easy. My car is equipped with Viva Messala chariot hubs.

• lovistemiami - Jan 31, 2013 at 6:48 PM

And Gator does it again… how is that not an incredibly racist thing to say? Why is saying Cuban people can’t drive just fine (also patently false) ? Where if you had said {insert race or gender of your choice} can’t drive, then that would be grounds for banning – and rightly so.

The ignorance is overwhelming.

5. natslady - Jan 31, 2013 at 12:17 PM

OK, most important==> pants or no pants?

Major league GMs need to start regarding players as full-time, year-round employees. They need to supervise (or at leas approve) training regimens and “personal” trainers. I understand that you can’t control every player’s relatives and friends. But you CAN make it clear that there is no “off-season.” All activities affect the team. If the University of Miami is not a good place to train, say so. Provide a list of approved trainers and facilities in the area where each player resides.

• Old Gator - Jan 31, 2013 at 12:28 PM

The University of Miami is a great place to train – and to meet wealthy, influential alumni and boosters who can really help you get some early traction on your pro sports career.

• heyblueyoustink - Jan 31, 2013 at 1:31 PM

” You just have to be a little careful about the Burmese pythons and NCAA investigators hiding in the bushes. ”

I’d rather the pythons.

6. brewcrewfan54 - Jan 31, 2013 at 1:00 PM

There’s nothing wrong with living and training in Miami in the offseason but just like when you were little kids, don’t take candy from strangers. Candy in this case being steroids and strangers being steroid dealers.

• Old Gator - Jan 31, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Funny how the idiomatic read on “candy” has evolved over the years….

• Gordon - Jan 31, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Or, be wary of the “guy” that says he cannot afford the expensive candy (Snickers), then has a village idiot impose a tax on the community to help the “guy” buy said expensive candy. Then the “guy” buys penny candy & pockets the rest.

• Old Gator - Jan 31, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Now that you mention it, the price of Snickers really has gone up – especially the frozen ones. It’s just as well, though – I got sick of tweezing those little fragments of nougat out of my nostril hairs.

• brewcrewfan54 - Jan 31, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Mmmmmmm Snickers…..

7. historiophiliac - Jan 31, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Craig, next time intimidate him with an ochre sweater.

• Old Gator - Jan 31, 2013 at 1:36 PM

That sweater has achieved real immortality here, hasn’t it? What do you think you could get for it at a Circling the Bases memorabilia auction?

• historiophiliac - Jan 31, 2013 at 1:52 PM

I both Sosa and Craig wore it, or just Craig?

• historiophiliac - Jan 31, 2013 at 2:07 PM

*If

edit function!

8. indaburg - Jan 31, 2013 at 2:07 PM

I don’t frequently agree with the content of Rosenthal’s commentary, but I do like the manner in which he presents it. What he says, he does so reasonably.

9. thebadguyswon - Jan 31, 2013 at 2:15 PM

You’re definitely a heel Craig. But you’re good at it.

10. iranuke - Jan 31, 2013 at 2:37 PM

You know, the most effective thing that the people that are all aghast about the “new” allegations against A-rod could do would be to call for increased frequency of testing rather than throw up their hands.

11. Minoring In Baseball - Jan 31, 2013 at 10:47 PM

Happy belated Festivus!!!! Let the airing of the greivences begin!

• gloccamorra - Feb 1, 2013 at 12:04 AM

There you go with one of them ejucated references. Why can’t we just talk baseball?

Three legends off to Cooperstown