Jan 31, 2013, 5:17 PM EST
Cleveland has signed right-hander Matt Capps to a minor-league contract that includes an invitation to spring training.
Due to a mix of injuries and blown saves Capps lost his closer job in Minnesota after the Twins overpaid to acquire and then keep him, but if healthy he’s a perfectly decent setup man with a 3.52 career ERA through age 28.
Capps was always miscast as a closer because he’s basically a one-pitch pitcher and doesn’t miss many bats, but he throws strikes and has plenty of late-inning experience. As a highly paid closer he was all sorts of overrated, but as a middle reliever on a minor-league deal he’s a nice pickup.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)