Jan 31, 2013, 5:17 PM EDT
Cleveland has signed right-hander Matt Capps to a minor-league contract that includes an invitation to spring training.
Due to a mix of injuries and blown saves Capps lost his closer job in Minnesota after the Twins overpaid to acquire and then keep him, but if healthy he’s a perfectly decent setup man with a 3.52 career ERA through age 28.
Capps was always miscast as a closer because he’s basically a one-pitch pitcher and doesn’t miss many bats, but he throws strikes and has plenty of late-inning experience. As a highly paid closer he was all sorts of overrated, but as a middle reliever on a minor-league deal he’s a nice pickup.
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 3
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 209
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 91
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (213)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (124)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)