Jan 31, 2013, 5:17 PM EST
Cleveland has signed right-hander Matt Capps to a minor-league contract that includes an invitation to spring training.
Due to a mix of injuries and blown saves Capps lost his closer job in Minnesota after the Twins overpaid to acquire and then keep him, but if healthy he’s a perfectly decent setup man with a 3.52 career ERA through age 28.
Capps was always miscast as a closer because he’s basically a one-pitch pitcher and doesn’t miss many bats, but he throws strikes and has plenty of late-inning experience. As a highly paid closer he was all sorts of overrated, but as a middle reliever on a minor-league deal he’s a nice pickup.
- Grant Balfour’s deal with Orioles in “serious jeopardy” due to shoulder issue 14
- Report: Rakuten will not allow Masahiro Tanaka come to the United States 63
- Mariners showing “continued interest” in Ervin Santana 10
- Happy Birthday, Ty Cobb! 89
- Dodgers re-sign left-handed reliever J.P. Howell to a two-year, $11.5 million contract 4