Jan 31, 2013, 5:17 PM EDT
Cleveland has signed right-hander Matt Capps to a minor-league contract that includes an invitation to spring training.
Due to a mix of injuries and blown saves Capps lost his closer job in Minnesota after the Twins overpaid to acquire and then keep him, but if healthy he’s a perfectly decent setup man with a 3.52 career ERA through age 28.
Capps was always miscast as a closer because he’s basically a one-pitch pitcher and doesn’t miss many bats, but he throws strikes and has plenty of late-inning experience. As a highly paid closer he was all sorts of overrated, but as a middle reliever on a minor-league deal he’s a nice pickup.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 11
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)