Mark Grace sentenced to four months in jail

Jan 31, 2013, 2:30 PM EDT

Mark Grace Mug Shot

Former Diamondbacks announcer and, obviously, ballplayer Mark Grace has pleaded guilty to felony endangerment and misdemeanor driving under the influence of alcohol charges. He’s been sentenced to four months in jail and two years probation.

This being Maricopa County, Arizona, I assume that means he’s going to be in Sheriff Joe Arpaio’s tent city, which houses non-violent offenders.  Good luck with that, Mark.

The plea averts a March 19th trial which, in all likelihood, would have found him guilty anyway.  Assuming part of the calculus here was to avoid being outside in Phoenix in the summer? Because that would certainly tip the scales for me.

1. skids003 - Jan 31, 2013 at 2:33 PM

He needs to go to the Lohan jail.

• Old Gator - Jan 31, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Lindsay Lowlife, Slumpbuster!

• djpostl - Jan 31, 2013 at 4:10 PM

I wonder how many people get the “slumpbuster” part of that one….

2. vegagreenleaf - Jan 31, 2013 at 2:43 PM

Maybe this is rock bottom and exactly what Mr. Grace needs to become sober. Good luck, Mark, from one alcoholic (years sober) to another.

• tfbuckfutter - Jan 31, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Who the hell would downvote that?

• kopy - Jan 31, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Jerks

• badintent - Jan 31, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Some of Mark’s cell mates

• tfbuckfutter - Jan 31, 2013 at 5:54 PM

I guess Arizona bartenders too maybe?

3. stairwayto7 - Jan 31, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Bend over Gracie!

4. adcoop22 - Jan 31, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Do you think if I visited him in tent city that he would give me a pair of signed pink undies?

• Old Gator - Jan 31, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Let me know if you go. I have a couple of great recipes for ostrich you can give him.

• azvikefan - Feb 1, 2013 at 8:44 AM

Craig, when you come here to the Valley for spring training in march, you should go to tent city and see if Mark will give you an interview.

5. pisano - Jan 31, 2013 at 3:12 PM

I hope he gets himself together. I have a friend that did non support time in Joe Arpio’s little world and from that incident, he won’t get anywhere near Arizona, obviously it’s no party there, and Arpio is one tough hombre. Good luck Mark, you’re a long way from Tustin, Ca.

• Old Gator - Jan 31, 2013 at 3:20 PM

It really cracked me up when word got out that Herr Kommandant Joe was serving the inmates ostrich meat and all the critics began screaming bloody murder, as though he were feeding his charges dog food or something. Hilarious. Ostrich is as nutritious as beef, has a fifth of the cholesterol, and is indistinguishable from London broil in terms of texture and flavor. Makes great burgers, too. We order about fifteen or twenty pounds of it at a time online – tenderloins, fillets, ground meat for burgers and meatloaf, and some pretty damned tasty breakfast and/or smoked sausages too.

I suspect these birds were the survivors from the ostrich farm in Eight Legged Freaks….

• stlouis1baseball - Jan 31, 2013 at 4:00 PM

Ostrich? Not too greasy? Not too chewy? Who woulda’ thunk it?

• badintent - Jan 31, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Best damn gumbo I ever had was croc meat gumbo by a crazy cajun. Maybe Joe is gonna have some hardcore inmates put on those ostrich hunting safari game parks ,Just thinking out loud here with Cali laying off prision guards and releasing inmates………. this could be a solution to over crowded jails.

• stlouis1baseball - Jan 31, 2013 at 4:01 PM

“I have a friend that did non support time in Joe Arpio’s little world and from that incident, he won’t get anywhere near Arizona.”

So Sheriff Joe’s hospitality is shining through then. Just the way he drew it up!

• azvikefan - Feb 1, 2013 at 8:46 AM

Most of us real Americans here in the Valley love Sheriff Joe.

6. digbysellers - Jan 31, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Thank you for the food lesson. Now we don’t need Google.

7. rcali - Jan 31, 2013 at 4:00 PM

If he was still playing with the Cubs, he’d walk. You know it, I know it. Judges are just harder to buy off when it comes to former players.

• badintent - Jan 31, 2013 at 5:59 PM

You’re right. Just ask Lindsey Lohan about that stuff. Signed photos are just not getting it done no more, too much TMZ around.

8. timpaz - Jan 31, 2013 at 4:08 PM

Maybe this will finally get rid of Gracie’s arrogance and belief that as an ex major leaguer he deserved special treatment, oh and now he will find out what real GAS is, wise up pal and get sober.

• stlouis1baseball - Jan 31, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Between this post and the one on the Rolen article….I see you are keeping it positive.

9. hojo20 - Jan 31, 2013 at 6:33 PM

I hope MSNBC is filming “Lockup” while he’s there. I’d like to see how he’s fitting in with his cellmate Bubba.

• GoneYickitty - Jan 31, 2013 at 6:44 PM

This isn’t Shawshank or something. If you’re a violent offender you not in the tents and there aren’t any cells in the tents. I’m sure it will suck, but he’ll be with his own kind (mostly drunks) there.

• badintent - Feb 1, 2013 at 1:10 AM

Get busy living or get busy dying

• azvikefan - Feb 1, 2013 at 8:48 AM

There are more Jose’s than Bubba’s.

10. ditka96 - Jan 31, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Fall from Grace?

11. Minoring In Baseball - Jan 31, 2013 at 10:37 PM

All the best to him. I hope this starts his road to recovery, and can move on in a positive way after this ordeal.

12. mazblast - Jan 31, 2013 at 10:46 PM

I hope this knocks some of the smugness he’s always had the heck out of him. As a player and a broadcaster, he’s always seemed very impressed with his modest accomplishments and unimpressed by those of anyone else.

13. halohonk - Feb 1, 2013 at 12:59 AM

Slumpbuster. I remember listening to Rome that day when i heard him coin that. I followed Grace when he played in high school all the way to the cubbies. Talk about a fall from Grace. I hope this is his bottom and he comes back a better person.

14. gopherz - Feb 1, 2013 at 1:39 PM

stay out of arizona; it SUCKS;

Three legends off to Cooperstown