Jan 31, 2013, 4:16 PM EDT
Overbay should have a decent shot at claiming a backup job thanks to Mike Napoli‘s hip problems, which could require some days off and/or late-inning defensive replacements. And if nothing else the left-handed-hitting Overbay is a decent bat to have off the bench.
Overbay was said to be talking to the Brewers about a job following Corey Hart‘s knee surgery, but that apparently fell through. Last season he hit .259 with a .727 OPS in 65 games for the Braves and Diamondbacks and was even worse in 2011, so at age 36 he’d be stretched if needed for regular action.
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 15
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 14
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 36
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 5
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 21
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)