UPDATE: Scott Rolen leaning toward playing another season

Jan 31, 2013, 8:10 PM EDT

rolen getty Getty Images

UPDATE: Reds general manager Walt Jocketty told John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer that he hasn’t spoken with Rolen’s agents in the last couple of days, but he didn’t rule out the possibility that the veteran third baseman could return to Cincinnati for another season.

“I think there’s a chance we get something worked out,” he said. “We’re talking about the details — how much opportunity is there.”

11:19 AM: Scott Rolen still hasn’t decided whether to retire or return for an 18th season, but it sounds like he’s now leaning toward playing again.

For most of the offseason John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer has speculated that Rolen was more likely to call it quits, but today Fay writes: “I’m hearing now that Rolen wants to play.”

And because the Reds have repeatedly said they’d welcome Rolen back Fay guesses that the holdup “may be money” because the team is up against its payroll limit already.

Rolen presumably realizes he’d be a part-time player coming off a sub par season, so even though he’s made huge salaries for most of his career it’s hard to imagine him holding out for a ton now. And if he is, it’s possible that the Dodgers would be his best fit anyway.

1. thomas844 - Jan 31, 2013 at 11:45 AM

He still has some good baseball in him. He hit the ball really well in the second half of the season when Votto was injured and he is still an above average fielder. Solid player if healthy, and still a good veteran presence if not.

• stoutfiles - Feb 1, 2013 at 8:45 AM

Sure, if he wants to come on at garbage time or when Frazier needs a day off. Rolen is a liability at the plate (which is why Stubbs is gone). We need players that can hit the ball over ones that provide marginal improvements in the field.

Nite that Dusty lives veterans so much he’ll probably make Rolen the starter if he comes back.

2. stex52 - Jan 31, 2013 at 11:51 AM

He’d be an asset in most organizations. As you say, it probably comes down to how he deals with pay cuts. No normal human enjoys those.

• proudlycanadian - Jan 31, 2013 at 11:59 AM

On the other hand, if he retires, he gets an automatic pay cut. When he played for the Jays, I enjoyed watching. He was a complete pro.

• mazblast - Jan 31, 2013 at 12:22 PM

That was then, as were his days with the Phils and Cards. If you watched him much last year (I did), the bat speed isn’t there, the defensive quickness is gone. All that’s left is the name and the reputation.

He’s been a great major league player, one of my favorites since he was a rookie–but it’s time.

3. stlouis1baseball - Jan 31, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Hope to see Rolen come back for another year. I have followed his career very closely. Favorite player as a Cardinal. He grew up about 2 hours southwest of me. Still occasionally works out at the local baseball building in the offseason. He is friends with a local family (a former hitting coach).
    Hell of an athlete. Wait…can we still call players athletes?
    Anywho…all state in Baseball, Basketball and Tennis. He would make a fine clubhouse mentor to many young players. I can’t really see him leaving Cincinnati. He loves Dusty. But if he is concerned with money…he may be better suited for the Dodgers.

• bolweevils2 - Jan 31, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Would he play much for the Reds? I wouldn’t think so. Heck, even on the Dodgers I’d rather take my chances with Luis Cruz, but I’m sure in reality Rolen would get the benefit of any doubt in that decision.

• stlouis1baseball - Jan 31, 2013 at 4:04 PM

He isn’t going to play much anywhere he goes. Strictly a bat off the bench, late defensive replacement…mentoring the younger players type of situation. A clubhouse guy if you will.
        Plus…Cincinnati is right next door. And again…he loves Dusty.

• mazblast - Jan 31, 2013 at 10:55 PM

If he returns to the Reds, Dusty will find ways to give playing time to Rolen that should go to the regular, Frazier. Dusty ALWAYS has a rationalization for messing with lineups that are working and for playing scrubs too much.

4. timpaz - Jan 31, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Hang em up Rolen, go out with some dignity, tired of seeing washed up players hanging on.

• thebadguyswon - Jan 31, 2013 at 10:26 PM

I guess so. The tank is empty Scott.

5. cintiphil - Jan 31, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Dittio. As you know, I am the guy who thinks he was the best defensive 3rd base ever. Just not as good with the bat, or as powerful as Schimndt. But, it is time to leave like a pro.

• jwbiii - Jan 31, 2013 at 9:09 PM

Just like Schmidt

6. sportsfan69 - Jan 31, 2013 at 9:55 PM

It’s time move forward, let Scott Rolen move on. He’s needs to retire or go play in LA. He slow and done.

7. jm91rs - Feb 1, 2013 at 2:40 PM

All of these Reds fans saying he needs to go… I assure you they’re saying that not because they think he’d be a bad clubhouse guy or a bad guy off the bench or once every other week giving frazier or votto a day off, it’s all about Dusty. I’m hearing that Dusty is all set to go with Frazier no matter what happens with Rolen, and I hope that info is accurate, but we all know his reputation. He’s proven time and time again that solid youngsters take a back seat to the veterans. I’m confident he’ll get it right this time and I hope Rolen does come back as a bench player, but I certainly understand all the concern in Cincinnati.

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3492)