Jan 31, 2013, 8:10 PM EDT
UPDATE: Reds general manager Walt Jocketty told John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer that he hasn’t spoken with Rolen’s agents in the last couple of days, but he didn’t rule out the possibility that the veteran third baseman could return to Cincinnati for another season.
“I think there’s a chance we get something worked out,” he said. “We’re talking about the details — how much opportunity is there.”
11:19 AM: Scott Rolen still hasn’t decided whether to retire or return for an 18th season, but it sounds like he’s now leaning toward playing again.
For most of the offseason John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer has speculated that Rolen was more likely to call it quits, but today Fay writes: “I’m hearing now that Rolen wants to play.”
And because the Reds have repeatedly said they’d welcome Rolen back Fay guesses that the holdup “may be money” because the team is up against its payroll limit already.
Rolen presumably realizes he’d be a part-time player coming off a sub par season, so even though he’s made huge salaries for most of his career it’s hard to imagine him holding out for a ton now. And if he is, it’s possible that the Dodgers would be his best fit anyway.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 54
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 65
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 80
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 66
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)