Jan 31, 2013, 8:10 PM EST
UPDATE: Reds general manager Walt Jocketty told John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer that he hasn’t spoken with Rolen’s agents in the last couple of days, but he didn’t rule out the possibility that the veteran third baseman could return to Cincinnati for another season.
“I think there’s a chance we get something worked out,” he said. “We’re talking about the details — how much opportunity is there.”
11:19 AM: Scott Rolen still hasn’t decided whether to retire or return for an 18th season, but it sounds like he’s now leaning toward playing again.
For most of the offseason John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer has speculated that Rolen was more likely to call it quits, but today Fay writes: “I’m hearing now that Rolen wants to play.”
And because the Reds have repeatedly said they’d welcome Rolen back Fay guesses that the holdup “may be money” because the team is up against its payroll limit already.
Rolen presumably realizes he’d be a part-time player coming off a sub par season, so even though he’s made huge salaries for most of his career it’s hard to imagine him holding out for a ton now. And if he is, it’s possible that the Dodgers would be his best fit anyway.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 42
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 166
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (167)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)