Jan 31, 2013, 8:10 PM EDT
UPDATE: Reds general manager Walt Jocketty told John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer that he hasn’t spoken with Rolen’s agents in the last couple of days, but he didn’t rule out the possibility that the veteran third baseman could return to Cincinnati for another season.
“I think there’s a chance we get something worked out,” he said. “We’re talking about the details — how much opportunity is there.”
11:19 AM: Scott Rolen still hasn’t decided whether to retire or return for an 18th season, but it sounds like he’s now leaning toward playing again.
For most of the offseason John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer has speculated that Rolen was more likely to call it quits, but today Fay writes: “I’m hearing now that Rolen wants to play.”
And because the Reds have repeatedly said they’d welcome Rolen back Fay guesses that the holdup “may be money” because the team is up against its payroll limit already.
Rolen presumably realizes he’d be a part-time player coming off a sub par season, so even though he’s made huge salaries for most of his career it’s hard to imagine him holding out for a ton now. And if he is, it’s possible that the Dodgers would be his best fit anyway.
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 0
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 7
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 33
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 11
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 40
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 182
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 74
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (182)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)