The Mets sign LaTroy Hawkins

Jan 31, 2013, 8:24 AM EST

Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim v Detroit Tigers Getty Images

LaTroy Hawkins’ agent tweeted that Hawkins has signed a minor league deal with the Mets.

Hawkins has underwear older than a lot of his teammates. If he makes the big club in 2013 it will be for his 10th team in 19 seasons.  Last year for the Angels he went 2-3 with a 3.64 ERA in 48 appearances. He’s not what he was seven or eight years ago but, then again, none of us are and he still gets the job done.

1. bolweevils2 - Jan 31, 2013 at 9:24 AM

Without knowing the salary, which I assume is a small base with some incentives, I like this signing by the Mets. He’s certainly not a difference maker anymore, but he should be good enough to help hold the Mets bullpen together for another season of biding their time for the future.

• sdelmonte - Jan 31, 2013 at 9:47 AM

This is something like the third signing of this sort by the Mets. The pen won’t be great, but it should be decent while the team figures out what to do with Parnell long-term. And if everything works out with the relief corps, they might have a couple of chips to trade for second and third tier prospects. Especially if Francisco has a rebound year.

2. fissels - Jan 31, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Start printing the World Series tickets!

3. uwsptke - Jan 31, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Hawkins seems like a classy guy. I remember this blog post from JSOnline last summer about Brewers reliever Tim Dillard:

That veteran touch: Many of the departed veterans from last year’s squad are missed in the Brewers’ clubhouse. One of the most-conscientious mentors was reliever LaTroy Hawkins, who signed as a free agent with the Los Angeles Angels.

Reliever Tim Dillard recalled a touching gesture by Hawkins as the Brewers arrived in New York last year for an interleague series against the Yankees.

“We were just pulling into the hotel and ‘Hawk’ called me up to the front of the bus,” said Dillard. “I didn’t know what was going on. I didn’t know if I was going to have to do (his) Harry Caray (impression) or what.

“He said, ‘Has anybody ever bought you a suit?’ I told him I couldn’t remember anybody doing it. So he took me across the street to this place the players like to go to and bought me a suit.

“It was unbelievable. Before we left, he had bought me two suits, four dress shirts and a couple of ties. Then, he said, ‘You know why I’m doing this? Because he did it for me.’ And he points to this picture of Kirby Puckett hanging on the wall.”

It’s called paying it forward.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jan 31, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Awesome story, we could use a few more of those along with the Jackie Robinson stories today. Getting a little sick of all these absurd Arod stories from the NY Media.

4. echech88 - Jan 31, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Was pretty happy to see him go after 1 year with the Angels. He’s kind of a mop at this point in his career, or at least that’s how he pitched last year. Never seemed to come through when they really needed him to.

5. youthinternationalparty - Feb 1, 2013 at 2:41 PM

48 years old & a 3.5 e.ra…….amazing…………..Hawkins could end up spot starting and short relief on the bigs for the mets, if our cliser is good again , we can be glad with wheeler harvey gee…..and neise had another great year…..santana could use hawkuns company if k rod sn t around….serioysly tho 19 years in the bigs 10 teams and still coming up with a 3.64 e.ra. he gotta be a key man with only one powerful reliever …..Billy Custer

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. J. Kang (2805)
  2. W. Myers (2565)
  3. D. Ross (2239)
  4. C. McGehee (2145)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (1997)
  1. J. Shields (1907)