Cardinals avoid arbitration with Marc Rzepczynski

Feb 1, 2013, 2:48 PM EDT

St Louis Cardinals v San Francisco Giants - Game Six Getty Images

Marc Rzepczynski and the Cardinals have avoided arbitration with a one-year deal.

Rzepczynski requested $1.3 million in his first year of arbitration eligibility and the team countered at $900,000 after the left-hander threw 47 innings with a 4.24 ERA and 33/17 K/BB ratio.

It’ll be interesting to see what type of role Rzepczynski has this season, because he was much less effective last year than in 2011 and the Cardinals signed Randy Choate to be their left-handed specialist.

1. stlouis1baseball - Feb 1, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Not sure what to make of this. I mean…as Aaron stated…Randy Choate is the LH Specialist.
    Qualification: Don’t confuse this post with me liking the Randy Choate signing.
    I do NOT like the Randy Choate signing.

• albertmn - Feb 1, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t Rzepczynski the only lefty in the pen most of the season? Having two lefties should lessen the workload on either and might make both more effective. The previous season, they also had Rhodes from the left side down the stretch.

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 1, 2013 at 3:52 PM

Great point Albert. Personally, I am hoping the Scrabble from two years ago re-surfaces.
        Of course…we only had him or half a season upon his initial signing. Last years (full season) version might be all you get. We can certainly hope for better.

2. cardsfanandi - Feb 1, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Did I miss where they cleared things up with David Freese? I’d like to think he would be a bigger priority than scrabble…

• okwhitefalcon - Feb 1, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Scrabble’s was simple, Freese % $ divide is much greater.

I suspect it’ll get done sooner than later but Scrabble’s was just easier.

3. digbysellers - Feb 1, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Yes, he was the only leftie last year and it will certainly help having another LOOGY in the bullpen. Rep was way less effective last year and Matheny could only use him once (obviously) which meant Rep got burned way too often when teams wasted him vs some crap leftie pinch hitter all the while a more potent left handed batter was coming up later in the inning.

4. stlouis1baseball - Feb 1, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Two arms will definatly give M.M. more options. As Albert pointed out…Scrabble and Rhodes were both viable options during the W.S. drive.

• paperlions - Feb 1, 2013 at 5:18 PM

The problem is that the Cardinals have a bullpen full of power arm righties that are awesome at getting out lefties and that have been just as good at it as Rzepczynski (copied and pasted from PC, thanks man)…but who are also good at getting out righties. There are very few lefties that have a huge platoon split that won’t be pinch hit for….so bringing in Rzepczynski/Choate when you think they’ll wind up facing a pinch hitter is just a horrible decision, because then they are stuck in there to face a righty. The possible decrease in effectiveness of the Cardinal RHPs versus lefties is far outweighed by their increase in effectiveness versus righties…..so the only time either of these guys should ever come into a close game is when Matheny is 100% certain that the LHH is not going to be pinch hit for.

• okwhitefalcon - Feb 1, 2013 at 5:33 PM

Indeed.

The only other scenario would be to get an opposing manager to waste a right pinch hitter in earlier innings for matchup reasons which may only happen a couple times at most over the course of the regular season.

Post season tournament baseball is a totally different scenario, having the perceived threat of additional lefty may cause a manager to (over) react early and waste a bench player.

I suppose it comes down to flexibility, it’s great to have but it doesn’t mean squat if the LH’rs aren’t effective when called upon.

• proudlycanadian - Feb 1, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Thank you!

5. proudlycanadian - Feb 1, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Unlike some St. Louis fans, my spell check has got the name Rzepczynski spelled correctly. No need to refer to him as Scrabble. Do not know what happened to him last season. He pitched much better when he was a Blue Jay.

• zipsports - Feb 1, 2013 at 7:14 PM

I just call him what Larussa used to: Razinski

• stlouis1baseball - Feb 4, 2013 at 4:38 PM

But I really dig the nickname P.C. So Scrabble it is. At least for me.

6. apmn - Feb 1, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Now he can afford to buy a vowel.

7. cintiphil - Feb 2, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Pardon me here, but I just had to ask. I thought he was called zippy. But then I am in Cinti. Who knows here?

Pitching duel highlights Game 1 of WS