Feb 1, 2013, 8:55 AM EDT
“We talked about a long-term contract briefly at the start of these negotiations,” said Headley. “It was a quick discussion. We weren’t on the same page right from the start. This close to free agency, it has to be a good deal for us. You can’t sacrifice what’s fair.”
Headley says he wants to stay in San Diego, but talks are on hold right now.
Of course, if you’re the Padres this makes perfect sense. Headley is coming off a career year and he’s under team control through 2014. In 2015 he’ll be 31. So if the Padres do nothing except ride out one more year of arbitration, they’ll most likely have had him for his best few seasons. Alternatively, they could shop him to any number of other teams either this year or next and get some young talent in return.
Like the Yankees. I heard their third baseman was retiring/going into exile on Elba.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 31
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 60
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 17
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)