Feb 1, 2013, 8:55 AM EDT
“We talked about a long-term contract briefly at the start of these negotiations,” said Headley. “It was a quick discussion. We weren’t on the same page right from the start. This close to free agency, it has to be a good deal for us. You can’t sacrifice what’s fair.”
Headley says he wants to stay in San Diego, but talks are on hold right now.
Of course, if you’re the Padres this makes perfect sense. Headley is coming off a career year and he’s under team control through 2014. In 2015 he’ll be 31. So if the Padres do nothing except ride out one more year of arbitration, they’ll most likely have had him for his best few seasons. Alternatively, they could shop him to any number of other teams either this year or next and get some young talent in return.
Like the Yankees. I heard their third baseman was retiring/going into exile on Elba.
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 75
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 62
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 66
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 72
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)