Curt Schilling on gay players: “Why the hell would what they do in the bedroom ever matter?”

Feb 1, 2013, 11:49 AM EDT

We’ve been tough on Curt Schilling here at times–to the point that I think he blocked Calcaterra from following him on Twitter–but I liked these back-to-back tweets he just posted:

Lost in the fact that one mediocre NFL player saying he wouldn’t want gay teammates can generate an incredible amount of attention during Super Bowl week is that there are many, many prominent athletes and former athletes who feel just like Schilling does. Or so I’m hoping, at least.

And really, who can blame someone for blocking Calcaterra on Twitter? I sometimes block him on Gchat just because there’s only so many conversations about Batman and Bourbon someone can have before noon each day.

196 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. kingjoe1 - Feb 1, 2013 at 6:16 PM

While in part it is great Shilling made the statement “why the hell would what they do in the bedroom ever matter?”. However, what he said is part of the problem as well.

Being gay isn’t about the bedroom, it is about who a person is, mentally, physicall and biologically. Shillings short-sightedness is limit to what kind of sex people like. A gay person isn’t gay, simply behind closed doors. They would be gay in the shower, during interviews, and on the field.

There still is much education needed, sadly.

• hockeyflow33 - Feb 1, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Wait, what?

• js20011041 - Feb 1, 2013 at 9:31 PM

How exactly does one accomplish being gay in an interview and on the field? Are we talking about showing up to the post game presser looking absolutely fabulous? Maybe a little extra flamboyance on the field?

• bdawk20 - Feb 1, 2013 at 11:15 PM

Man you do need education. I am straight in the bedroom, but gay in the shower. JUST BLEW YOUR MIND.

• critter69 - Feb 2, 2013 at 6:18 AM

I worked with some people for almost 20 years who didn’t know I was gay until my partner of more than 20 years was diangosed with lung cancer, and then died just over six months later.

And some of them were bibble thumping Xians who had nothing but bad things to say about the GLBT community until they found out I was gay. They might still have said bad things about the GLBT community, but I didn’t hear, or hear of, them making such comments. I knew enough people in the agency who would have told me if the bibble thumpers had made such comments, so I can only presume they might have learned something.

Granted, not on a GAME field or GAME field lockerroom, but in real, actual life among real, actual, non-pampered people.

So, ‘kingjoe1′, yes there is still much need for education, and the need is on YOUR part.

• historiophiliac - Feb 2, 2013 at 11:08 AM

I guess I read that differently than you did. It’s too bad kingjoe didn’t clarify further. Now, I’m unclear on what s/he said.

• kingjoe1 - Feb 2, 2013 at 1:22 PM

really? Well I suspect you must have pulled this information from someone else’s biography. You seem to express that gay is something to hide. Gay people are gay, but too many non-gay people think being is just about sex. It is who you are, not just about what you do in the bedroom. Shilling seems to express that what gay people do behind closed doors is of no concern of his; and he is right. However, he stopped short of saying that gay people are no different than anyone else and should not be treated any differently day-to-day. It isnt just about sex.

• IdahoMariner - Feb 5, 2013 at 3:02 PM

kingjoe, I am confused. first, you are disappointed that he said it doesn’t matter what someone does in the bedroom (a surprisingly non-judgmental stance from schilling, and i for one will take it and be happy for the accepting tone of his comments), because you believe he somehow was saying being gay is only about sex, implying that, for you, being gay sets one apart from straight people in all respects….and then you express disappointment that he “stops short of saying that gay people are no different than anyone else and should not be treated any differently day to day”. which is it?

i guess i am happy with his comment because, yes, gay people truly are no different from straight people in most of the fundamental, important ways, and should not be treated any differently. saying he doesn’t care what gay people do in the bedroom is just shorthand for him saying that. it’s twitter. he doesn’t need to make fine distinctions or extended educational discourse on all the ways that being gay affects one’s life in contrast to all the ways that gay people are no different than straight people. and frankly, he probably hasn’t given it that much thought. but his statement was a clear, unequivocal statement of support.

insisting on someone expressing themselves exactly as you want them to before you can be pleased about or accept a clear statement of support is counter-productive and alienating. there was nothing equivocal about his statement. how great was that? i can’t stand most of what he has said and done off the field….and he totally surprised me with this. i would have thought he believed the opposite. cool. now, moving on to work on changing the attitudes of people who aren’t sure what to think or don’t have any experience with people not like themselves, rather than scaring them off by putting conditions on acceptance of clear support (as opposed to equivocal support or support that comes with its own conditions).

2. brandedthefirst - Feb 1, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Perhaps he’s mellowing with old age?

3. yousuxxors - Feb 2, 2013 at 12:15 AM

go read quotes from jefferson Washington franklin and adams about god/religion and tell me they are christians talking about jesus. all religions are let into the free masons. i love how the right twist history to fit their “facts”.

• jimeejohnson - Feb 2, 2013 at 1:21 PM

FACTS? Right wing NUTS don’t need no stinkin’ facts.

4. Glenn - Feb 2, 2013 at 12:29 AM

I suspect that Curt is a social liberal with conservative ideals. That is not unusual at all. I don’t agree with his conservative (and apparently hypocritical view, as he was quite willing to take tax payer dollars for his private venture), but it doesn’t negate his opinion on this issue. It is unfortunate that our current political climate is so polar.

• Fink - Feb 2, 2013 at 3:15 AM

Wait…what? He doesn’t care who is gay, and is willing to borrow tax payer $$ to fund his private venture…. what is more left wing than that?

5. dremmel69 - Feb 2, 2013 at 1:52 AM

First of all, who chooses the photos that accompany the posts? A post about sexual tolerance in sports culture is led with a photo that portrays Curt Schilling in a “feminine” posture.

Is this a serious topic or junior high school? Is the lampooning of some athletes acceptable because they may be heterosexual? Is heterosexuality an inferior lifestyle choice to homosexuality? Are all heterosexuals assumed to be homophobic?

There is no discourse on this subject in American culture any longer. A growing number in our society confront ugly anti-gay sentiment (“you must be queer”) and respond with ugly anti-straight sentiment (“you must be homophobic”).

And please don’t bother to suggest that the Curt Schilling photo chosen for the post was random in any way. The only thing worse than hypocritical rhetoric is insult to the intelligence of your audience.

• bigdicktater - Feb 2, 2013 at 6:19 PM

I thought the photo was a hilarious choice. Lighten up people.

6. jimeejohnson - Feb 2, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Evangelical right wing NUTS: how does it feel to have lost a Presidential election twice in a row to an African-American LIBERAL? Two words: beat it!

• jasncondit - Feb 2, 2013 at 10:05 PM

jimmeejohnson – Let me see you assume all people who call themselves Christians to be Christians. Just because a person respectfully disagrees with you, you lump them in those who just want to call names like you are doing. Well to use your argument about Obama I can retort too.

How does it feel that no matter how many people on this earth you get to agree with you there is a God you will stand before and then will bow and out of your mouth will acknowledge how wrong you were and that He is Lord. You can pretend all you want but deep down in your soul you know who He is and reject Him still. Even the Demons know Him and they don’t put their heads in the sand. Enjoy your little season but even though you are so filled with Hate, I hope you repent before you die because I would not wish Hell on anyone.

7. wgray981 - Feb 2, 2013 at 4:34 PM

THIS IS NOT SPORTS NEWS. I am starting a boycott on this sports blog starting NOW! I am sick of the unprofessional journalism, and pointless stories that have nothing to do with sports. I will check back in a few months to see if things have improved. If not, I won’t return again.

• historiophiliac - Feb 3, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Of course it will be different then — the season will have started. I know, the off-season is a merciless witch. We all hate it. Some of us drink to get through it. Some of us resort to watching football. It puts some of us in the Worst (Mental) Shape of Our Lives. But, the season is nigh. Hang in there. It’ll be better soon.

8. barrywhererufrom - Feb 4, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Buggieworm or whatever your name is. Your take is something that bemuses me. I have to say my comment as being ‘Marriage being ordained by God is not my own’ I know you being a man of the cloth and such. It actually came from a Monsignor in the Roman Catholic Church on Long Island. Marriage is not ours to define. It’s God who made the institution. I don’t know how such a so called enlightened person like yourself would not know this. I guess when you mix up the secular and the religious you get all messed up. I do not take you as an authority on anything.

9. Jack Marshall - Feb 6, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Nobody should be surprised at Curt’s comments. He’s smart. Not as smart as he thinks he is,perhaps, but smarter than most in his field and also smarter than most sportswriters, which along with political bias accounts for their relentlessly negative coverage.

He is describing a professional attitude, the same attitude my father, who like most in his era was not especially enlightened about homosexuality, held regarding gay men he fought with in World War II. If they were good soldiers and fighting on the same side, he was happy and proud to have them serve with him. Any other attitude is idiotic.

Pitching duel highlights Game 1 of WS