Feb 1, 2013, 11:34 AM EDT
Richard Justice’s latest column at MLB.com has the headline “Are the Yankees a last place team?” Then he saves us some time with his first line:
Let’s not bury the lead, to use a time-tested newsroom phrase. No, they are not.
Well, there you go. Two observations:
- The AL East is a tightly packed division. There is not a bad team there. Random variations of health, luck and bullpen performance could basically make any of the five teams first place teams and any of them last place teams. I have no idea how the division will shake out, but I can tell you that whoever finishes last in the AL East will not be a terrible team this year; and
- Given all the bad press the Yankees are getting, you’d have no idea that they won 95 games last year.
If this keeps up I think I’ll hop a flight to Vegas and bet the over on their win totals. People are forgetting that it’s the New York Yankees here. They always find a way.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)