Feb 1, 2013, 11:34 AM EST
Richard Justice’s latest column at MLB.com has the headline “Are the Yankees a last place team?” Then he saves us some time with his first line:
Let’s not bury the lead, to use a time-tested newsroom phrase. No, they are not.
Well, there you go. Two observations:
- The AL East is a tightly packed division. There is not a bad team there. Random variations of health, luck and bullpen performance could basically make any of the five teams first place teams and any of them last place teams. I have no idea how the division will shake out, but I can tell you that whoever finishes last in the AL East will not be a terrible team this year; and
- Given all the bad press the Yankees are getting, you’d have no idea that they won 95 games last year.
If this keeps up I think I’ll hop a flight to Vegas and bet the over on their win totals. People are forgetting that it’s the New York Yankees here. They always find a way.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 267
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (267)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)