Help get a ballpark — a real Field O’ Dreams — built in Ireland

Feb 1, 2013, 4:30 PM EDT

Irish baseball cap

A couple of years ago I did a post about baseball in Ireland and a documentary about it all called “The Emerald Diamond.” Yup, they play ball there.

The director of that documentary, John Fitzgerald, is helping to raise money for a baseball club in County Meath that wants to build a quality baseball field to serve as the center and home base of baseball in Ireland.  Check out the details — and make a donation if you’d like — here. Various donation levels will get you gifts like a copy of the documentary, a t-shirt or an Irish National Team cap. No, the one to the right here is not it.

And here’s a video overview:

Fitzgerald is trying to hit his goal by St. Patrick’s day. Chip in if you can.

1. number42is1 - Feb 1, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Tiocfaidh ár lá

• thevikes85 - Feb 1, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Supporting a terrorist group eh?Aren’t you just wonderful.Before anyone asks i’m Irish thats the slogan for the I.R.A. Its the equivalent of someone putting up an al qaeda or ETA slogan here,both terrorist groups,you absolute muppet.

• Francisco (FC) - Feb 1, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Muppets are Terrorists!?!?! And to think I kinda liked Kermit the Frog…

• cur68 - Feb 1, 2013 at 5:45 PM

I’m pro-kermit, too. If only I’d known his religious affiliations were extremist. Dang. Oh well. I’ll just have to switch to Animal. He’s a hippy.

• historiophiliac - Feb 1, 2013 at 8:10 PM

I respectfully disagree. I think comparing the Irish independence movement to al Qaeda is offensive.

• blacksables - Feb 2, 2013 at 4:25 AM

The families of those who died in bombings at the hands of Irish terrorists would disagree with your opinion.

Terrorism is terrorism. Unless, in your mind, terrorism committed by Arabs is worse than terrorism committed by white people.

• purnellmeagrejr - Feb 2, 2013 at 8:17 AM

In Ireland crickets the game. Beckettt (No not Johh was a first classs cricketeeer. I believe it was about the only thing he liked.

• purnellmeagrejr - Feb 2, 2013 at 8:18 AM

Sorrry, I meant not Josh.

2. raysfan1 - Feb 1, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Erin go brach!

• Eric Angevine - Feb 1, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Erin go yard.

3. cosanostra71 - Feb 1, 2013 at 5:20 PM

That is one heck of a centerfield.

4. Old Hoss Radbourn - Feb 1, 2013 at 5:31 PM

This is my worst nightmare.

• cur68 - Feb 1, 2013 at 5:42 PM

I thought being on a pitch count would be your worse nightmare?

• Old Hoss Radbourn - Feb 1, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Once you’ve fathered children with the skipper’s wife he’s generally reluctant to impose such nonsensical rules.

• cur68 - Feb 1, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Just hoping you’ll break your arm one way or another, eh? I’m not sure if this is or is not a good idea.

• historiophiliac - Feb 1, 2013 at 7:57 PM

I thought that was Carrie Nation.

5. johnfitzgerald1977 - Feb 1, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Thanks Craig!

I wish Old Hoss was supporting us too, but I guess beggars can’t be choosers.

• cur68 - Feb 1, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Your Skipper married? You might be able to change OHR’s mind if the Skip has a fetching wife of child bearing years.

• indaburg - Feb 1, 2013 at 9:27 PM

This is wonderful, John. I just got back a little over a week ago from my first ever trip to your beautiful island. Count me in.

• johnfitzgerald1977 - Feb 2, 2013 at 10:18 AM

I’m not actually from Ireland. I made a documentary about the Irish National Team back in 2006. I’ve stayed in touch ever since and I’ve helped them raise money for equipment and uniforms from time to time. This is my biggest undertaking to help them and I appreciate your support!

If you’re on Facebook, you can show your support by joining our event: https://www.facebook.com/events/153304834820152/

6. themagicfanguy - Feb 1, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Okay… But how do I get THAT hat?!?!

7. kurtstallings - Feb 1, 2013 at 9:02 PM

If you build it, the English will come. And take it from you. Then charge you rent to live on it until a famine drives everyone overseas. On the bright side, you’ll wind up running politics anywhere there are free elections except Japan. The Irish just never quite got on there.

8. jwbiii - Feb 1, 2013 at 9:38 PM

My mother’s maiden name was Ireland. Her two brothers had four sons between them. Guess what they’re getting for their next birthdays.

9. kappy32 - Feb 2, 2013 at 1:20 AM

Just donated $35. I was in Ireland back in 2007 for a cousin’s wedding & I came upon a group of youngsters playing baseball on a make-shift field that was used for Rugby in a small farm town about 20 minutes away from Mullingar. I joined them for the two days I was staying in the town & gave them pointers & fundamental lessons. They didn’t know much about baseball, but they loved it. I would love to see Ireland field a competitive baseball team for the WBC before I die (I’m only 30 so they have a long time to work on it, I hope).

• johnfitzgerald1977 - Feb 2, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Thanks for your donation kappy! Ireland is probably at least a decade away from the WBC, but kids are playing in Dublin, Cork and Kerry: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbOhHOwXBCk

10. fanofevilempire - Feb 2, 2013 at 10:04 AM

if the Donald- as in Trump- was involved he would just
    seize the poor Irish farmers land and build a ball park.

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3460)