Jhonny Peralta is in The Best Shape of His Life

Feb 1, 2013, 7:29 AM EDT

Jhonny Peralta

The main point of BSOHL articles is to poke a bit of fun at the recurrence of a cliche that, until around last year anyway, most people didn’t realize was a cliche.  The secondary though related point was to observe that, as far as cliches go, it’s a kind of empty one inasmuch as the relationship between guys proclaiming their enhanced conditioning and enhanced performance is pretty darn weak. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn’t, but usually a BSOHL declaration is an exercise in public relations.

Jhonny Peralta may be a different case, however. I’ve paid less attention since he’s been in Detroit, but when he was in Cleveland his weight fluctuated pretty significantly from season to season as did his performance.  He was slender in 2005, porked up a bit the next year, got slim again before 2008 and his game more or less followed suit.

So, while most of these BSHOL/weight loss declarations don’t carry too much, um, weight, they probably are a bit more significant in the case of Jhonny Peralta. With that, I give you Tom Gage’s latest in the Detroit News:

… last week while manager Jim Leyland and general manager Dave Dombrowski were making a lot of positive comments about the 2013 Tigers, there was no indication they are anything less than content with Peralta as the incumbent.Fewer pounds would be preferable, they told him, as he headed home for the winter. He got the message and lost 18.

“It’s good,” Peralta said. “I’ve never been at this weight since I’ve been with Detroit. I finished last season at 236. I’m at 218 now.”

That bodes well.

In some other parts of his game, however, he’s less eager to talk.  Gage, while noting that Peralta is sure-handed, comments about his range, which is near the worst among everyday shortstops. Here’s Peralta:

“I don’t like it when people talk about my range,” he said. “I know it’s important, and I know I can be better, but I think I’ve done a really good job at shortstop.”

I don’t like it when people talk about my grammar or when I make bad arguments, but those are key parts of my job and when I suck at those things I can’t really complain if people criticize. Same with a shortstop’s range, right? So, sorry Jhonny.

1. historiophiliac - Feb 1, 2013 at 7:50 AM

Yea, a Tiger joins the 2013 BSOHL team! There’s your SS, gentlemen!

Yeah, he’s definitely not the best SS out there, but in all fairness, he looked better in the post-season last year than a number of our other players (particularly against the Yanks). I’d rather have him on the team than Raburn or Kelly…and apparently so would the management.

• bobwsc - Feb 1, 2013 at 8:16 AM

he rules the ‘best spelling of Jhonny’ category as well

• flosox - Feb 1, 2013 at 8:48 AM

I actually met a guy named Jomanathon…no joke!

• historiophiliac - Feb 1, 2013 at 9:13 AM

looking forward to more whalk off HR’s next year :)

• Detroit Michael - Feb 1, 2013 at 8:50 AM

Peralta didn’t see he was in the best shape of his life. Only Craig or his headline writer did.

2. Charles Gates - Feb 1, 2013 at 8:19 AM

Jhonny, but still not Jhonnathin.

3. papacrick - Feb 1, 2013 at 8:22 AM

Range wasn’t a problem during the postseason this past year. He scooped everything in his direction. Somehow that was missing the entire 162 games prior. I have a feeling all the trade talk motivated him this winter and I have no doubts he will bounce back to 2011 form. Tigers should coast through the AL this year. This is a 100 win team on paper
    I

• albertmn - Feb 1, 2013 at 9:12 AM

They were going to be a 100 win team last year, and dominate the AL in the regular season. How did that work out? Only a White Sox collapse even put them in the playoffs. Sox were playing well, looked to overtake them to win the Central, and then fell apart. Please skip the Tigers dominating hoopla until the prove a little more. “On paper” means about as much to a baseball season as it what ends up “on paper” when you visit the mens room.

• historiophiliac - Feb 1, 2013 at 9:17 AM

However, we got rid of some dead weight (Young, Raburn, etc), picked up Torii Hunter & V-Mart returns. We’re a better team this year, but yeah, it’s a long season. Don’t be mad that we can coast and still make the playoffs.

4. darthicarus - Feb 1, 2013 at 8:42 AM

If Jhonny could learn the Derek (blessed be His name) Jeter’s jump throw then his range would be unquestioned.

• gigab0t - Feb 1, 2013 at 8:44 AM

You could substitute “Jhonny” in that sentence with any other SS in the game right now and it would still be true.

5. historiophiliac - Feb 1, 2013 at 9:19 AM

I think the implied message in the Tigers’ stories this off-season is that we have awesome clubhouse food and great good luck cakes. Go easy on the tasties, boys.

6. hushbrother - Feb 1, 2013 at 9:46 AM

In Peralta’s case shouldn’t it be he’s in the BSHOL?

7. hushbrother - Feb 1, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Somewhere Bruce Drennan is freaking out.

8. kopy - Feb 1, 2013 at 10:10 AM

2013 BSOHL Baseball Club

Jhonny Peralta, SS – DET
    Mitch Moreland, 1B/OF – TEX
    Albert Pujols, 1B – LAA
    John Lackey, P – BOS
    CC Sabathia, P – NYY
    Javier Vazquez, P – FA
    Hanley Ramirez, SS/3B – LAD
    Neil Walker, 2B/3B – PIT
    Ryan Howard, 1B/DH – PHI
    Carlos Quentin, OF – SD

• kopy - Feb 1, 2013 at 10:32 AM

We have a full team now. This is like when Smalls moved to the neighborhood in Sandlot.

• kopy - Feb 1, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Wait, one more outfielder is needed. False alarm.

• historiophiliac - Feb 1, 2013 at 10:46 AM

and a catcher

• kopy - Feb 1, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Don’t think I’m not re-using the Sandlot reference when we get one.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto