Jhonny Peralta is in The Best Shape of His Life

Feb 1, 2013, 7:29 AM EST

Jhonny Peralta

The main point of BSOHL articles is to poke a bit of fun at the recurrence of a cliche that, until around last year anyway, most people didn’t realize was a cliche.  The secondary though related point was to observe that, as far as cliches go, it’s a kind of empty one inasmuch as the relationship between guys proclaiming their enhanced conditioning and enhanced performance is pretty darn weak. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn’t, but usually a BSOHL declaration is an exercise in public relations.

Jhonny Peralta may be a different case, however. I’ve paid less attention since he’s been in Detroit, but when he was in Cleveland his weight fluctuated pretty significantly from season to season as did his performance.  He was slender in 2005, porked up a bit the next year, got slim again before 2008 and his game more or less followed suit.

So, while most of these BSHOL/weight loss declarations don’t carry too much, um, weight, they probably are a bit more significant in the case of Jhonny Peralta. With that, I give you Tom Gage’s latest in the Detroit News:

… last week while manager Jim Leyland and general manager Dave Dombrowski were making a lot of positive comments about the 2013 Tigers, there was no indication they are anything less than content with Peralta as the incumbent.Fewer pounds would be preferable, they told him, as he headed home for the winter. He got the message and lost 18.

“It’s good,” Peralta said. “I’ve never been at this weight since I’ve been with Detroit. I finished last season at 236. I’m at 218 now.”

That bodes well.

In some other parts of his game, however, he’s less eager to talk.  Gage, while noting that Peralta is sure-handed, comments about his range, which is near the worst among everyday shortstops. Here’s Peralta:

“I don’t like it when people talk about my range,” he said. “I know it’s important, and I know I can be better, but I think I’ve done a really good job at shortstop.”

I don’t like it when people talk about my grammar or when I make bad arguments, but those are key parts of my job and when I suck at those things I can’t really complain if people criticize. Same with a shortstop’s range, right? So, sorry Jhonny.

Latest Posts
  1. Report: Phillies nearing a deal with Wandy Rodriguez

Dec 26, 2014, 8:03 PM EST

Wandy Rodriguez Wandy Rodriguez

If Wandy Rodriguez passes his physical, the Phillies are expected to sign him to a minor league deal.

2. Jeff Manship signed a minor league deal with the Indians

Dec 26, 2014, 7:10 PM EST

Carlos Ruiz, Jeff Manship Carlos Ruiz, Jeff Manship

Jeff Manship will begin the spring with the Indians after signing a minor league deal.

3. Giants may target Ben Zobrist

Dec 26, 2014, 6:05 PM EST

Ben Zobrist Ben Zobrist

According to Peter Gammons, some GMs think the Giants will eventually trade for Ben Zobrist.

4. Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan

Dec 26, 2014, 3:49 PM EST

Hiroki Kuroda Getty Images

After seven years in the United States, Hiroki Kuroda is heading home.

5. Nationals sign Dan Uggla

Dec 26, 2014, 11:32 AM EST

dan uggla getty Getty Images

Uggla hit .179 in 2013 and .149 this year.

6. Baseball in Uganda? Yes, baseball in Uganda.

Dec 26, 2014, 11:00 AM EST

Uganda tourism destinations

And it’s all thanks to a man named George Mukhobe.

7. Giants re-sign J.C. Gutierrez

Dec 26, 2014, 10:30 AM EST

Juan Gutierrez Giants AP

He threw 64 innings with a 3.96 ERA and 44/16 K/BB ratio for the Giants in 2014.

8. Padres season ticket sales have spiked in the wake of their offseason spending spree

Dec 26, 2014, 9:35 AM EST

padres logo

Remember, Red, hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things.

9. Chihiro Kaneko re-signs with Orix Buffaloes

Dec 25, 2014, 3:05 PM EST

kaneko getty Getty Images

Japanese righty Chihiro Kaneko might have been one of the top starters on the open market this winter had he been posted by the Orix Buffaloes, his Nippon Professional Baseball team.

10. 2015 Free Agent Tracker

Dec 25, 2014, 1:23 PM EST

Hanley Ramirez Hanley Ramirez

Your one-stop shop for all of the offseason signings.

11. Merry Christmas from HBT!

Dec 25, 2014, 8:47 AM EST

Screen Shot 2014-12-25 at 8.45.33 AM

And a very special friend of HBT

12. Tommy Lasorda reads “Twas the Night Before Christmas”

Dec 24, 2014, 10:00 PM EST

mlb video

A good way to finish off our Christmas Eve coverage on HardballTalk …

13. Kenta Maeda re-signs with the Hiroshima Carp

Dec 24, 2014, 8:04 PM EST

kenta maeda getty Getty Images

The sought-after 26-year-old right-hander has now officially re-signed with the Hiroshima Carp for the 2015 season, according to the Japan Times.

14. Rockies sign outfielder Roger Bernadina

Dec 24, 2014, 6:17 PM EST

roger bernadina getty Getty Images

Ben Badler of Baseball America reports that the Rockies have agreed to terms on a minor league contract with outfielder Roger Bernadina.

15. What baseball team did people from Bedford Falls root for?

Dec 24, 2014, 4:21 PM EST

IAWL

A toast to my big brother George: The richest man in town. Well, except for Mr. Potter. That guy is LOADED.

16. The Braves and A.J. Pierzynski reach a one-year deal; first reported in a ham store

Dec 24, 2014, 2:00 PM EST

Ham

No, really. The news broke on line at a Honeybaked Ham store.

17. THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year

Dec 24, 2014, 1:00 PM EST

megaphone

Based on these results, no, we will not stick to baseball. Because you clearly don’t want us to.

18. Orioles re-sign Delmon Young

Dec 24, 2014, 12:02 PM EST

Delmon Young Getty Images

Buck Showalter found a way to get value out of Young in a part-time role.

19. “There’s a decent chance” the Rays will trade Ben Zobrist

Dec 24, 2014, 11:16 AM EST

Ben Zobrist AP

Zobrist has been a regular for the Rays since 2008.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. J. Kang (2822)
  2. W. Myers (2578)
  3. D. Ross (2273)
  4. C. McGehee (2188)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2012)
  1. J. Shields (1929)