Feb 1, 2013, 10:15 AM EST
It’s uncommon for managers to begin a season with just one year remaining on their contract, so much so that the name for that is a “lame duck” manager, but that’s exactly what Terry Collins will be doing with the Mets.
General manager Sandy Alderson indicated yesterday on SNY that the team has not discussed a contract extension with Collins, saying:
I think it will only be an issue if Terry makes it an issue or I make it an issue. I hope we don’t let the media make it an issue, although it’s a question that I’m sure will be asked, especially early in spring training. But I’ve talked to Terry. I think he’s comfortable with his situation. And I know that whatever happens this season, there will be a fair evaluation at the end.
“I think it will only be an issue if Terry makes it an issue or I make it an issue” is a pretty amazing bit of GM-speak, really.
As for the other stuff, Alderson can basically be certain that the New York media will constantly ask Collins about it and will probably ask Mets players about it, especially if the team is struggling. But then again if the team is struggling Collins will probably wind up getting fired anyway.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)