Feb 1, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
It’s uncommon for managers to begin a season with just one year remaining on their contract, so much so that the name for that is a “lame duck” manager, but that’s exactly what Terry Collins will be doing with the Mets.
General manager Sandy Alderson indicated yesterday on SNY that the team has not discussed a contract extension with Collins, saying:
I think it will only be an issue if Terry makes it an issue or I make it an issue. I hope we don’t let the media make it an issue, although it’s a question that I’m sure will be asked, especially early in spring training. But I’ve talked to Terry. I think he’s comfortable with his situation. And I know that whatever happens this season, there will be a fair evaluation at the end.
“I think it will only be an issue if Terry makes it an issue or I make it an issue” is a pretty amazing bit of GM-speak, really.
As for the other stuff, Alderson can basically be certain that the New York media will constantly ask Collins about it and will probably ask Mets players about it, especially if the team is struggling. But then again if the team is struggling Collins will probably wind up getting fired anyway.
- Report: Cubs calling up prospect infielder Addison Russell 0
- Jonathan Lucroy headed to disabled list with broken toe 5
- Reds manager Bryan Price goes on profanity-laden tirade against media 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 75
- Report: Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the hot seat 40
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 88
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 14
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 14
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (129)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (107)