Mets manager Terry Collins enters his “lame duck” season

Feb 1, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT

Terry Collins AP

It’s uncommon for managers to begin a season with just one year remaining on their contract, so much so that the name for that is a “lame duck” manager, but that’s exactly what Terry Collins will be doing with the Mets.

General manager Sandy Alderson indicated yesterday on SNY that the team has not discussed a contract extension with Collins, saying:

I think it will only be an issue if Terry makes it an issue or I make it an issue. I hope we don’t let the media make it an issue, although it’s a question that I’m sure will be asked, especially early in spring training.  But I’ve talked to Terry. I think he’s comfortable with his situation. And I know that whatever happens this season, there will be a fair evaluation at the end.

“I think it will only be an issue if Terry makes it an issue or I make it an issue” is a pretty amazing bit of GM-speak, really.

As for the other stuff, Alderson can basically be certain that the New York media will constantly ask Collins about it and will probably ask Mets players about it, especially if the team is struggling. But then again if the team is struggling Collins will probably wind up getting fired anyway.

1. chill1184 - Feb 1, 2013 at 10:25 AM

At least you share my cynicism of the meida Aaron. The raw sewage that is the NY media (hell the national one is just as bad) would paint Collins as a villain if he was caught eating a sandwich at Blimpies instead of at a local shop. Hell that clown Adam Rubin acts like more of a troll (at least on twitter) than a damm “journalist”

2. proudlycanadian - Feb 1, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Just when I expected you to write about the Mets interest in Valverde and K-Rod, you came up with this zinger. Well done!

3. bolweevils2 - Feb 1, 2013 at 10:47 AM

I actually think Collins has done a reasonably good job, considering how little he has had to work with. As a Met fan I wouldn’t object to seeing him get an extension.

4. jtpercell - Feb 1, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Walt Weiss knows how Terry feels. Sort of.

5. whitdog23 - Feb 1, 2013 at 11:13 AM

why is it an issue?? quite stupid that a ‘baseball writer’ would think he deserved an extension before this season

6. fanofevilempire - Feb 1, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Yeah, Terry has no issue being without a contract after doing a good job with
    about six major leaguers on the roster.

I do think the fact that Sandy hired him and he is still here and maybe for a few years
    might be a positive for Terry. The other thing is Terry has rebuilt his rep following a time
    when he was out of baseball and probably not on top of any baseball managerial interview
    list.

I will like to add that despite the lack of talent Terry has run a good clubhouse.

7. mojosmagic - Feb 1, 2013 at 1:25 PM

I think Collins has done an excellent job and deserves an extension. There is an old saying in baseball which applies to the Mets which is “you can’t shine sh*t”.

• mazblast - Feb 3, 2013 at 10:53 PM

Mythbusters proved that you can in fact shine sh**. The issue is whether you’d ever really want to do that.

As for the subject at hand–If Collins is OK with it and what passes for Mets management is OK with it, it’s OK–AND NEITHER THE MEDIA HACKS, METS FANS, NOR ANYONE HERE GETS A VOTE.

As I like to point out to people who obsess over this kind of thing regarding managers or coaches, Walter Alston managed the Dodgers on 23 consecutive one-year contracts. It didn’t seem to faze him, Dodgers management, or the fans, and his results turned out pretty well–four World Series titles, three other NL pennants, eight second places, and only four seasons under .500 with five over .600.

8. thebadguyswon - Feb 1, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Collins is mediocre. The team quit on him the last two seasons. If you watched the games it was as plain as day. Do not extend the guy.

• MattJanik - Feb 1, 2013 at 3:52 PM

I’d be curious what your evidence is that they “quit” on Terry Collins. A lack of success does not equal a lack of effort, and vice versa.

If only every team realized all it took was TRYING really hard. Then EVERY team could go 162-0!

• thebadguyswon - Feb 1, 2013 at 4:12 PM

General malaise, not running out groundballs, three-pitch at bats, etc.

Is there a statistic for it? Of course not. Like I said, its watching the games. Sorry to disappoint stat heads. It is what it is.

9. DonRSD - Feb 1, 2013 at 8:02 PM

Ozzie Guillen is built to coach the Mets.
    Make it happen.

LET’S GO METS!!!

• mazblast - Feb 3, 2013 at 10:54 PM

Ozzie in New York. And we think the Jets are a three-ring circus.

10. Spiro Agnew - Feb 2, 2013 at 12:29 PM

That picture of Terry always reminds me of this post:

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3933)