Feb 1, 2013, 5:05 PM EST
I sure hope Russ Canzler doesn’t buy a new shirt and equipment bag each time he lands on a new team. If he did he’d go broke.
The Yankees just designated Canzler for assignment. This came after the Indians designated him for assignment. Which came after the Blue Jays designated him for assignment. Which came after the Indians designated him for assignment. All of that happened since the 2012 season ended. Before that he was with the Rays.
Canzler is no great shakes — he hit just .269/.299/.498 in 97 plate appearances last year in the majors — but he was the International League MVP in 2011 after posting a .938 OPS, 18 homers and 83 RBI in 131 games for the Durham Bulls. You’d think that would at least buy him a stable spot on someone’s roster for 2013. But I guess he must still keep circling the chairs, waiting for the music to stop.
- Keith Law Ranks the Farm Systems: Yay for Chicago! Boo for Detroit! 0
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 153
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 33
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 36
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (153)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (94)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)