Feb 1, 2013, 5:05 PM EDT
I sure hope Russ Canzler doesn’t buy a new shirt and equipment bag each time he lands on a new team. If he did he’d go broke.
The Yankees just designated Canzler for assignment. This came after the Indians designated him for assignment. Which came after the Blue Jays designated him for assignment. Which came after the Indians designated him for assignment. All of that happened since the 2012 season ended. Before that he was with the Rays.
Canzler is no great shakes — he hit just .269/.299/.498 in 97 plate appearances last year in the majors — but he was the International League MVP in 2011 after posting a .938 OPS, 18 homers and 83 RBI in 131 games for the Durham Bulls. You’d think that would at least buy him a stable spot on someone’s roster for 2013. But I guess he must still keep circling the chairs, waiting for the music to stop.
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 0
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 8
- National League GM says Phillies’ asking price for Cole Hamels hasn’t dropped “one bit” 10
- Giants receive their 2014 World Series championship rings 19
- Angels activate Garrett Richards for Sunday debut 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 12
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 38
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)