Feb 1, 2013, 5:05 PM EST
I sure hope Russ Canzler doesn’t buy a new shirt and equipment bag each time he lands on a new team. If he did he’d go broke.
The Yankees just designated Canzler for assignment. This came after the Indians designated him for assignment. Which came after the Blue Jays designated him for assignment. Which came after the Indians designated him for assignment. All of that happened since the 2012 season ended. Before that he was with the Rays.
Canzler is no great shakes — he hit just .269/.299/.498 in 97 plate appearances last year in the majors — but he was the International League MVP in 2011 after posting a .938 OPS, 18 homers and 83 RBI in 131 games for the Durham Bulls. You’d think that would at least buy him a stable spot on someone’s roster for 2013. But I guess he must still keep circling the chairs, waiting for the music to stop.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 82
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)