Feb 1, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
Some new details emerging from the Biogenesis story. ESPN’s T.J. Quinn and Mike Fish spoke to a source who claims that Alex Rodriguez got special treatment from the Biogenesis clinic. Owner Anthony Bosch, Quinn and Fish’s source says, would personally go to A-Rod’s Miami home and inject him with HGH.
Bosch and A-Rod have denied everything related to the reports of these past few days, of course. It’s also worth noting that Quinn and Fish’s source tells of a time last year when A-Rod allegedly got mad at Bosch after Bosch “had trouble locating a vein,” despite the fact that HGH injections are not intravenous (Quinn and Fish note this disconnect).
Also of note, no one down in Miami can confirm that the DEA has opened an investigation at all and there is no evidence of an ongoing investigation. It’s possible that the DEA is just playing it cool and operating with unusual stealthiness. It’s also possible that, while this is a big story for baseball, the DEA in Miami (or all places) has bigger fish to fry than a now-closed anti-aging clinic.
That part is of some significance. For only the government has subpoena power here. Bud Selig does not. And if the government is not involved in this, or is not moving particularly quickly, Major League Baseball is unlikely to have more at its disposal than (a) a newspaper report; (b) copies of uncorroborated medical records; and (c) the denials of all the players involved.
If so, could they even suspend these guys on a “just cause” basis pursuant to the Joint Drug Agreement?
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 58
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 43
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)