Feb 1, 2013, 9:13 AM EDT
Mike Lupica brings the class. In his A-Rod column he plays the same “A-Rod just needs to go away” tune as everyone else at the Daily News. Then, when explaining the options the Yankees have, drops this gem about the MLB Players Association:
Or — this appears to be even more of a longshot — they want the commissioner of baseball, Bud Selig, to hit him with a drug suspension so they can start exploring ways to void his contract, even though the Major League Baseball Players Association will fight to protect guaranteed money in baseball the way gun nuts protect their guns.
Get that? A union, whose sole function is to protect the collectively bargained-for rights of its membership, is the equivalent of “gun nuts.” I’m gonna go on a limb and say, based on past quasi-political things Lupica has written, that he is not exactly the staunchest Second Amendment guy, so in addition to equating the MLBPA to “nuts” he’s probably implicitly saying here that guaranteed contracts are illegitimate and unnecessary.
I also assume that he would be totally cool in giving up some of the money in his contract with the Daily News if he suddenly became unpopular.
Anyway, gotta hand it to the Daily News these past few days. Aside from utterly ignoring reality with respect to A-Rod’s contract situation and being wholly uncritical of their Yankees sources, they have done a bang-up job ratcheting the rhetoric to a ridiculous degree.
Well played, guys. Well played.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 14
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 196
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 37
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (200)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)