Stay classy, Mike Lupica

Feb 1, 2013, 9:13 AM EST

New York Yankees v New York Mets Getty Images

Mike Lupica brings the class. In his A-Rod column he plays the same “A-Rod just needs to go away” tune as everyone else at the Daily News. Then, when explaining the options the Yankees have, drops this gem about the MLB Players Association:

Or — this appears to be even more of a longshot — they want the commissioner of baseball, Bud Selig, to hit him with a drug suspension so they can start exploring ways to void his contract, even though the Major League Baseball Players Association will fight to protect guaranteed money in baseball the way gun nuts protect their guns.

Get that? A union, whose sole function is to protect the collectively bargained-for rights of its membership, is the equivalent of “gun nuts.”  I’m gonna go on a limb and say, based on past quasi-political things Lupica has written, that he is not exactly the staunchest Second Amendment guy, so in addition to equating the MLBPA to “nuts” he’s probably implicitly saying here that guaranteed contracts are illegitimate and unnecessary.

Anyway, gotta hand it to the Daily News these past few days. Aside from utterly ignoring reality with respect to A-Rod’s contract situation and being wholly uncritical of their Yankees sources, they have done a bang-up job ratcheting the rhetoric to a ridiculous degree.

Well played, guys. Well played.

1. sargespeak - Feb 1, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Lippman: So have you ever done this kind of work before?. George: Well you know book reports that kind of thing. Lippman: What do you read?. George: I like Mike Lupica. Lippman: Mike Lupica?. George: He’s a sports writer for the daily news, I find him very insightful. Lippman: No,no,no I mean authors.

• skids003 - Feb 1, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Lupica has no class. Remember when Kingman stuffed you in his locker Mike? What a wimp blowhard you are!!!LOL.

• bigharold - Feb 1, 2013 at 11:20 AM

“Mike Lupica brings the class.”

Yeah but like his stature it’s low. Just when you thought it wasn’t possible Lupica hits news highs in sanctimony.

• purnellmeagrejr - Feb 1, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Sorry I don’t understand why Lupica should be treated with respect and Jon Heyman not.

• okwhitefalcon - Feb 1, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Mike Lupica has turned into Bill Conlin..

Well, less the child molestation accusations.

• DJ MC - Feb 1, 2013 at 12:39 PM

I don’t know about molestation, but making your kids read the youth fiction he’s put out probably counts as some form of abuse.

2. deathmonkey41 - Feb 1, 2013 at 9:20 AM

Ugh, another Costas trying to use his forum as a sports personality to impart his beliefs on everyone else. I’m a little disappointed that he didn’t talk about the dangers of large, sugary drinks though…

• klbader - Feb 1, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Bob Costas is really one of the best sports writers and commentators of the past 30 years. You don’t have to agree with his political values to recognize his actual talent as a commentator. Mike Lupica is a hack. His use of the phrase “gun nuts” should tell you that he isn’t making a political point; rather, he is just making a snarky comment.

• saints97 - Feb 1, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Costas is surely talented, but both he and Lupica decided to interject politics where they do not belong. I think the comparison, in that regard (which is exactly how deathmonkey laid it out), is fair.

• dwrek5 - Feb 1, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Saints, the Costas and Lupica comments are totally different. Costas was referring to football and particular the situation that happened with the Chiefs. He speaking more of the culture of guns int he NFL, rather than gun controls on a National scale. You dont have to agree, but the subject was relevant and a football story. Lupica isn’t really referencing anything.

• deathmonkey41 - Feb 1, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Even Costas admitted he made a mistake by using halftime as a pulpit to push his personal agenda and make some generally stupid comments like “Jevon Belcher and his girlfriend would still be alive if he didn’t possess a gun.”

• badintent - Feb 1, 2013 at 11:49 PM

Easy way to deal with Lupica and Costas. Put them in a UFC cage, the loser gets a bag and tag, the winner fights Jim Rome to the death. That way we get rid of 2 out of 3 of this vermin.Dana White will award one” fight of the night” bonus of $25

• kirkvanhouten - Feb 1, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Ugh, another commentor trying to use a forum for sports commentary to impart his beliefs about people imparting their beliefs.

• deathmonkey41 - Feb 1, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Ugh, another commentor tying to use a post by another commentor on a forum for sports commentary to impart his beliefs about that commentor imparting his beliefs about other poeple imparting their beliefs…okay, I give up- I’m still a little hung over from last night.

3. mybrunoblog - Feb 1, 2013 at 9:22 AM

Mike Lupica stopped being relevant in the New York market years ago. He has morphed into an annoying soap box columnist whose arrogance knows no bounds. As a reporter he probably hasn’t been in a big league clubhouse in years. Easy for him to bash players but never have to face them.
    Ignore him and he might go away .

• flosox - Feb 1, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Kind of like pitchers in the AL? Its easy to throw inside when you never have to get in the box yourself…

• hankg42 - Feb 1, 2013 at 10:05 AM

He was just as arrogant years ago, he just didn’t have as big an audience.

• skids003 - Feb 1, 2013 at 10:10 AM

I didn’t know he ever was relevant. I guess being stuffed into Kingman’s locker didn’t teach him a lesson. Maybe Arod or some “gun nut” needs to stuff him into a locker again, remind him what a chump he is.

• jwbiii - Feb 1, 2013 at 10:11 AM

I’ve been ignoring him since my first exposure to him in The National. It’s not working.

4. hushbrother - Feb 1, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Have they run an “If the Boss was still alive” column re ARod yet?

• purnellmeagrejr - Feb 1, 2013 at 10:54 AM

clever, brother.

5. phillyfan75 - Feb 1, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Par for the course with Lupica. Just another blowhard who thinks he’s smarter than everyone else. The passive aggressive unnecessary slipping in of silly, snide remarks concerning unrelated political and social commentary is apparently a hallmark of sports writing these days, particularly in Philadelphia.

Whether it’s Lupica on guns or Les Bowen repeatedly taking gratuitous and stereotypical shots on Alabama residents in his column about what he learned at the Senior Bowl in Mobil . . . there appears to be a pervasive need among many in the northeastern sports media to make themselves feel superior to everyone else. In the end, they only end up showing the opposite.

6. fanofevilempire - Feb 1, 2013 at 9:42 AM

I haven’t read a lot of Lupica lately and really have no intensions of doing so in the near future.
    I wouldn’t lose any sleep over what he said and I have to admit I already forgot what I read.

7. fanofevilempire - Feb 1, 2013 at 9:48 AM

It is amazing that many people forget the Yankees signed Jason Giambi to his contract
    all the while the whispers about him and steroids was in every front office from coast to coast.
    The Boss was in on that signing and made clear he wanted Giambi in pinstripes.
    A-Rod and the Yankees made truck loads of money and he was a star in 2009.
    I like the Yankees but this idea that they are victims is horse shite!

8. youknowwhatsgoodforshoulderpain - Feb 1, 2013 at 9:54 AM

I’m feeling very much A-rod’d to death here. Slow off-season.

• chadjones27 - Feb 1, 2013 at 10:06 AM

As long as the NY Media keeps printing crap like this, there will be blog posts about it. Don’t hate tha playa, hate tha game.

9. acdc363 - Feb 1, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Poor craigy ripping fellow sports writers to draw attention to his own blog…

I think it is you who needs to find some class

10. largebill - Feb 1, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Craig,

Oddly you seem aggrieved to see these righteous union employees compared to those evil “gun nuts.” I see it the opposite. Lupica is just another liberal insulting people exercising their constitutional right to bear arms by comparing them to union abuse of the legal system.

• Craig Calcaterra - Feb 1, 2013 at 10:32 AM

“union abuse of the legal system.”

In what way would the MLBPA fighting to maintain the terms of A-Rod’s contract — which was negotiated at arm’s length by two well-represented and sophisticated parties — constitute “abuse of the legal system?”

• purnellmeagrejr - Feb 1, 2013 at 10:55 AM

It’s because of the word “Union” some folks are trained to salivate and bark whenever they seee it.

• largebill - Feb 1, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Just using hyperbole to demonstrate how it is only going one way. Legal gun owners should be just as offended by Lupica, but you’re seemingly saying the comparison is harmful to MLBPA only.

• Craig Calcaterra - Feb 1, 2013 at 11:06 AM

I think I implied Lupica’s disdain for the Second Amendment in the post as well. I focused more on the MLBA, however, because this is a baseball blog.

• orangecisco - Feb 1, 2013 at 11:33 AM

I think it is poor journalistic judgement to equate the term “gun nuts” with a “disdain for the second amendment”. Quite silly actually. I think it is more proper to say he was trying to equate two groups that vehemently fight against logical actions. I don’t argue that it is a poor argument.

• sabatimus - Feb 1, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Craig if this is a “baseball blog”, then don’t give lip service to people who spout things about “gun nuts”. Ignore their idiocy and move on.

• deathmonkey41 - Feb 1, 2013 at 12:01 PM

I think they should use the legal argument of “Leave A-Rod’s contract alone!!!”

• skids003 - Feb 1, 2013 at 2:42 PM

orangeciso, I disagree with you and agree with Craig. If the term “gun nuts” doesn’t show disdain disdain for the 2nd amendment, I don’t know what does.

11. jerseygirl57 - Feb 1, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Yeah, Mike Loopyca is real classy…..to the point that he doesn’t allow comments on either his sports or his political columns in the NYDN. Yes, he fancies himself more than just a sports commentator, but as a sage on all things political. And always right, so why would you need a space to comment.
    Say what you want about Craig, he’s not afraid to take what he gets.

Skids03, I’d forgotten when he got stuffed in Kingman’s locker….those were the days.

• skids003 - Feb 1, 2013 at 2:43 PM

Priceless, jerseygirl.

12. digbysellers - Feb 1, 2013 at 10:47 AM

All this A-Rod business literally makes me wanna smell a diaper filled with old chinese food. P’s and C’s report soon and I was all excited for the season to start…now instead of reading things about that I got bombarded with this crap every, single day.

13. nategearhart - Feb 1, 2013 at 11:30 AM

I LOVE how right after the last sentence of the article there is a link that says “Buy Yankees tickets”.

14. bigharold - Feb 1, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Apparently Mr. Lupica can easily see the distinction between my 2nd Amendment Right and his 1st Amendment rights. Me, not so much.

I wonder how high he could ratchet up his sanctimonious BS if it was suggested that his rights be limited for the the greater good? He’d be whipped into a frenzy so powerful his tiny little head would likely explode.

Just the rantings of a raving homunculus, ..same ol’Lupica here, .. nothing to see.

• Tyree Studio - Feb 1, 2013 at 3:16 PM

Exactly.

15. sabatimus - Feb 1, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Craig, stop citing the NY Daily News…it really makes you look bad. Why you take seriously anything that rag has to say is beyond me.

16. jayscarpa - Feb 1, 2013 at 12:16 PM

They’ll have to pry Arod’s contract from his cold, dead hands…wait.

17. vanmorrissey - Feb 1, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Not an Arod lover (?) by any means but there’s no way in heck he’ll retire, he’ll be forced out of the contract unwillingly, he’ll get moved somewhere else. Yankees are stuck plain and simple and unless there are cold, hard facts with substantial evidence nothing will happen.

18. Tim OShenko - Feb 1, 2013 at 4:58 PM

I love love LOVE comparing the NRA to a labor union. Especially since it pisses off my libertarian brother so much.

Really, the two enitites function much the same way: a group of people with a common interest pool their resources to protect that common interest. They both collect dues, they both have spokespersons who stand up to whatever organization may be a threat to their interests, and both will sometimes defend rather unseemly things (from A-Rod’s contract to domestically owned assualt rifles) as a matter of principle.

19. stevem7 - Feb 1, 2013 at 5:11 PM

Anyone who reads, much less gives credence, to anything written by Lupica demonstrates that they have their cranium inserted as far up their anus as it’s possible to have.

20. gt40bear - Feb 2, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Yeah, lupica and all those free speech nuts…words can be very harmful…I wonder how much they would squeal if limiting or banning harmful speech was being discussed! They don’t call it assault for nothing! That’s it, we need to ban assault speech!

21. jl9830 - Feb 4, 2013 at 10:12 AM

“I also assume that he would be totally cool in giving up some of the money in his contract with the Daily News if he suddenly became unpopular.”

Unpopular? I think you mean “…if he suddenly lied to everyone, cheated his profession, and defrauded his employers.”

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester