The Marlins are hoping that a new clubhouse culture will change things, yet they still are stuck with Loria

Feb 1, 2013, 9:42 AM EST

Marlins Miami new logo

They teach you when you’re a young litigator that when you’ve got the law on your side argue the law, when you’ve got the facts on your side argue the facts and when you’ve got neither the law nor the facts on your side, bang your fist on the table.

So it is in baseball: when you’ve got a talented roster play up its talent, when you’ve got an experienced roster play up its experience and when you’ve got neither talent nor experience talk up the “clubhouse culture.” Example: the Miami Marlins:

Marlins baseball operations president Larry Beinfest spoke to reporters today and was asked about improving the clubhouse culture. He wouldn’t name specific players who contributed to the sour mix last year. But the goings-on with players like Hanley Ramirez and Heath Bell are well-documented … Whether some individuals we thought were more part of a poor clubhouse, I’m not going to go into any of that other than we have made significant changes. We have done our homework on prospects, the makeup of the player has been important.

That’s great and all, but the poor clubhouse culture from before, to the extent you can lay it at the feet of guys like Ramirez and Bell, is really the doing of Jeff Loria. Loria fired Fredi Gonzalez when he dared call Ramirez out on his loafing and bad attitude, emboldening him even more. Then he signed Bell and gave him a huge contract against the advice of his baseball people. He then fired the manager who tried to take a hard line with Bell when Bell didn’t like that he was no longer the closer.

So, good luck with the team chemistry, Miami. It should last until Loria decides, once again, to meddle with his team too much and undermine his manager and executives.

1. fanofevilempire - Feb 1, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Loria is a idiot, I wonder if he hangs out with Cuban.

2. smcgaels1997 - Feb 1, 2013 at 9:55 AM

At least Cuban has a passion for winning…Loria is dolt

• chill1184 - Feb 1, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Yea comparing Loria to Cuban is pretty absurd. The fact that Selig wants to keep Cuban out of MLB but keeps, Loria, Wilpon, Glass, Nutting and Dolan in is pretty sad.

3. Ben - Feb 1, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Lipstick on a pig. Now I’m thinking about Loria in lipstick. Shudder.

• Old Gator - Feb 1, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Mention Scrooge McLoria in lipstick and I see Aschenbach on the beach at the end of Death in Venice….

4. historiophiliac - Feb 1, 2013 at 10:03 AM

I like vodka with my sour mix.

5. echech88 - Feb 1, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Yeah Mark Buerhle, Josh Johnson and Jose Reyes were really poisoning that clubhouse.

6. clevelandschronic2 - Feb 1, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Ur an idiot for implying loria and cuban are the same type of owners. 1. Cuban has actually put a winning team together. 2. He may be loud and obnoxious but players actually want to play for his team. 3. He does have a championship from 2 years ago. 4.cuban is a hell of a businessmen.
    So remind me how loria and cuban are the same?? Id love to hear it.

• echech88 - Feb 1, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Oye.

Loria sucks, you are right about that.

However, the Marlins actually won the 2003 World Series with him as owner (he bought the team in 2002). He hasn’t done much with it since, but he technically has the same amount of rings as Cuban.

• indaburg - Feb 1, 2013 at 11:31 AM

The Marlins in 2003 won with a team largely inherited from the previous ownership. Loria dismantled that team quickly after their World Series title.

The main difference between the two is that Cuban gives the impression that he cares about winning, money be damned. Loria does not.

• Old Gator - Feb 1, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Indie: you neglect to mention that he dismantled the team after explicitly promising, in exactly these words, that “There will be no [emphasis his] dismantling” at the end of the 2003 victory parade at the Bayfront Park bandshell in downtown Macondo. I was there. I heard him with my own tympani. Add the following to that Pinocchio noseboner:

“We’re not going to trade you” (to Carlos Delgado).

“We’re not going to trade you” (to Jose Reyes).

“We’re not going to trade you” (to Mark Buehrle and his hounds from hell).

“We’re broke. I mean, really broke. One dimensional broke. Negative territory down the Y-axis broke. Moths flying out of our pockets broke. Process servers banging at the door broke. Chapter seven to the nth power broke. So broke, we can’t remember what it’s like not to be broke. I mean, skint” (to the Macondo County Commission).

“Aw, cut them a break, people. They’re broke” (from the Macondo Feeshwrapper)

7. clevelandschronic2 - Feb 1, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Hey evil u wanna talk abt dumb owners how bout your Sry azz yankees. Hows arod?? Hows pronk gonna do this year. Is jeter gonna be able to play some defense at SS. Lmao.

• nategearhart - Feb 1, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Stop it. You’re giving Clevelanders, potheads, and the number 2 a bad name.

• historiophiliac - Feb 1, 2013 at 11:50 AM

You understood that?

• Old Gator - Feb 1, 2013 at 3:19 PM

Pardon me, miss…I speak jive.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Feb 1, 2013 at 11:49 AM

This is rich. A cleveland fan talking about another “sry azz[SIC” team. Come on…

• Old Gator - Feb 1, 2013 at 3:29 PM

Yeah, I mean, even Howard the Duck roots for the Cubs.

8. Gamera the Brave - Feb 1, 2013 at 12:22 PM

I might be alone in this – but I have been increasingly suspicious that Craig posts an unnaturally high percentage of Marlins posts for the sole purpose of enticing comments out of OG…
    Smart man, our Craig…

• Old Gator - Feb 1, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Perhaps there’s an element of provocation operating here, but trust me – Gator or no Gator, Craig rrrrrreally doesn’t like Scrooge McLoria.

• Gamera the Brave - Feb 1, 2013 at 4:42 PM

I expressed myself poorly, Gator – what I meant to suggest was that commenters, including myself, seek out posts where you comment, because we enjoy your commentary style and content. Knowing that you are almost a lock to contribute to Marlins-oriented posts, Craig generates a lot of ‘em.
        Having Loria to kick around does make it an easy task…

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester