Feb 1, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT
Sandy Alderson, who expressed serious concern with Frank Francisco as his closer, is trying to remedy the situation. Alderson is pursuing Jose Valverde to compete — or more likely unseat — Francisco as closer, a baseball source told ESPNNewYork.com.
Unless the money is minuscule I can’t see why they’d bother. Maybe hoping he puts a good first half up, everyone forgets how unreliable he was late last season and then tries to trade for him at the deadline? Eh, I guess there are worse ideas.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 87
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 10
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 229
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (229)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (104)