Feb 1, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT
Sandy Alderson, who expressed serious concern with Frank Francisco as his closer, is trying to remedy the situation. Alderson is pursuing Jose Valverde to compete — or more likely unseat — Francisco as closer, a baseball source told ESPNNewYork.com.
Unless the money is minuscule I can’t see why they’d bother. Maybe hoping he puts a good first half up, everyone forgets how unreliable he was late last season and then tries to trade for him at the deadline? Eh, I guess there are worse ideas.
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 26
- Breaking: The Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 89
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 63
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 76
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 76
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 74
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)