Truck Day(s) is/are happening

Feb 1, 2013, 8:23 AM EDT

Convoy

I remember the movie “Convoy” pretty well, but I gotta tell ya, I don’t think Kris Kristofferson ever had abs like that. He must have paid off the movie poster guy. And Ali, what’s with the perm?  Man, our 70s icons did NOT handle the late 70s well. Anyway.

The first I ever heard about Truck Day — the day the equipment trucks leave the ballpark and head to the team’s spring training facility — was Boston’s version of it. In the few years since then more and more teams have made a thing out of it. Understandable. They all have their own websites and as far as P.R. things go, you could do way worse than Truck Day.

I’m still pretty “meh” about it all.  I wonder things like why these multi-million dollar businesses don’t have dedicated equipment and supplies in both their home parks and their spring training facilities which are really used year-round. I wonder why an airline sponsors Truck Day in Boston. Don’t the air freight people get mad at them for that? I wonder why it’s even a thing for the Rays, when the distance between their ballpark and their spring training complex is 74 miles. The Indians send their crap over 2,000 miles so I get that, but for the Rays it’s more like car pool day, amirite?

Sorry, I know I’m being grumpy about this. If it makes even a handful of fans hopeful and optimistic and reminds them that spring is right around the corner it’s a good thing. I realize the problem is mine.

Anyway, here’s a video montage from MLB.com of various teams getting their crap together, on a truck and on the road:

Groundhog Day tomorrow. And no matter what that woodchuck does, pitchers and catchers report in less than two weeks.

1. flosox - Feb 1, 2013 at 8:38 AM

Since this is Truck Day, the official language should be that of Truckers, circa 1972.

Breaker, Breaker…Just passed an alligator near MM 95 on the 405 leaving shaky town…got a baby bear on my back door, gotta back off the hammer now…I’m backing out…

2. Caught Looking - Feb 1, 2013 at 8:39 AM

The Diamondbacks are a mere 21 miles from their home stadium to their Spring Training facility.

HOV lanes all the way.

3. Old Gator - Feb 1, 2013 at 8:48 AM

I had a small nugget of amirite when I was a kid..
    no one from Krypton could get anywhere near it.

4. deathmonkey41 - Feb 1, 2013 at 8:56 AM

My Dad had the Convoy soundtrack on 8 Track. Along with Eddie Rabbit, John Denver, Jesus Christ Superstar, and Kenny Rogers. Made for some mighty long trips to go camping.

• historiophiliac - Feb 1, 2013 at 10:48 AM

no Jerry Reed?

• professormaddog31 - Feb 1, 2013 at 12:16 PM

West bound and down, 18 wheels a-rollin’.

• historiophiliac - Feb 1, 2013 at 12:35 PM

We got a long way to go, and a short time to get there…

• deathmonkey41 - Feb 1, 2013 at 1:16 PM

I do not recall Jerry Reed. He only had a handful, so it was pretty much the same stuff over and over. I could only listen to “Take Me Home Country Roads” so many times before insanity began setting in.

• paperlions - Feb 1, 2013 at 11:51 AM

I think you meant to say, “Made some mighty long trips fly by.”

• historiophiliac - Feb 1, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Oh, I’m imagining a t-shirt now!

5. heyblueyoustink - Feb 1, 2013 at 9:01 AM

It’s cheaper to sponsor truck day than it is to pay for air freight. That’s a near certainty.

Hopefully, none of the truck drivers go all “Duel” in their travels, would be ashame to lose a clubhouse worth of sport’s stuff due to murderous road rage.

• deathmonkey41 - Feb 1, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Excellent choice of movie references, fine Sir.

• professormaddog31 - Feb 1, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Rule(s) of thumb:

Never go on a cross country trip with Dennis Weaver.
      Never fly on a plane with George Kennedy. Or, for that matter, anyone named Petroni.
      Never go on a boat with Kate Winslet.
      And don’t take any sort of public transportation with Sandra Bullock.

• heyblueyoustink - Feb 1, 2013 at 10:13 AM

And never plan to spend Christmas with the McClain family, less we forget.

• deathmonkey41 - Feb 1, 2013 at 10:41 AM

And never go to visit Angela Lansbury in Cabot Cove- the murder rate per captia there makes Chicago look like a bunch of p#ssies.

• cur68 - Feb 1, 2013 at 11:25 AM

All vacations should be the opposite of whatever the Griswolds are doing.

• professormaddog31 - Feb 1, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Cabot Cove is some straight up gangster stuff, man. Those old people don’t play.

6. holliswatson - Feb 1, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Clearly, Kris was in the Best Shape of His Life.

• flosox - Feb 1, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Giving the cast of 300 a run for their money maker (pun very much intended)

• professormaddog31 - Feb 1, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Must’ve spent his Sunday mornings comin’ down…to a gym.

/bad jokes away!

7. mybrunoblog - Feb 1, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Hate to be Debbie Downer but if one of those trucks suffers a bad accident truck day could go the way of the fake throw to third.
    Cant you just hear the excited PR guy talking into some local news stations microphone. “Ok, there goes our equipment truck hustling down to florida to get…..wait….wait…oh no! oh the humanities”

8. hushbrother - Feb 1, 2013 at 9:41 AM

By 1978 Sam Peckinpah was directing movies from a wheelchair and getting work done during sporadic moments of lucidity. I’m guessing he was in a haze for most of this one. No way Peckinpah in his prime would let Ali MacGraw be in his movie sporting those fugly frizzies.

• jwbiii - Feb 1, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Yeah, his last two, Convoy and The Osterman Weekend were pretty bad.

Does anybody know what Ron Oester is doing these days? He was the White Sox fielding rover until a couple of years ago. That could be fodder for a bad pun/bad Peckinpah movie tie-in.

• professormaddog31 - Feb 1, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Makes ya wonder if his one good eye was working when Miss MacGraw came in with the worst Toni home perm ever inflicted on a human being…

9. andreweac - Feb 1, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Cranky this morning Craig?

A better point would be why is there a Truck Day for teams where it does not snow? The trucks leaving Boston is usually the first non Gregorian event since the winter solstice that winter will soon be over and spring will soon be here. That is why many in the north love Truck Day. a bit of optimism in the midst of being sick of cold weather and dreary looking trees.

10. ryanc - Feb 1, 2013 at 10:35 AM

I just want some official MLB Truck Day hat options.

• Tyree Studio - Feb 1, 2013 at 3:12 PM

11. kiwicricket - Feb 1, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Leave Ali alone! You would kill for a perm, Craig.

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate