Feb 1, 2013, 8:23 AM EDT
I remember the movie “Convoy” pretty well, but I gotta tell ya, I don’t think Kris Kristofferson ever had abs like that. He must have paid off the movie poster guy. And Ali, what’s with the perm? Man, our 70s icons did NOT handle the late 70s well. Anyway.
The first I ever heard about Truck Day — the day the equipment trucks leave the ballpark and head to the team’s spring training facility — was Boston’s version of it. In the few years since then more and more teams have made a thing out of it. Understandable. They all have their own websites and as far as P.R. things go, you could do way worse than Truck Day.
I’m still pretty “meh” about it all. I wonder things like why these multi-million dollar businesses don’t have dedicated equipment and supplies in both their home parks and their spring training facilities which are really used year-round. I wonder why an airline sponsors Truck Day in Boston. Don’t the air freight people get mad at them for that? I wonder why it’s even a thing for the Rays, when the distance between their ballpark and their spring training complex is 74 miles. The Indians send their crap over 2,000 miles so I get that, but for the Rays it’s more like car pool day, amirite?
Sorry, I know I’m being grumpy about this. If it makes even a handful of fans hopeful and optimistic and reminds them that spring is right around the corner it’s a good thing. I realize the problem is mine.
Anyway, here’s a video montage from MLB.com of various teams getting their crap together, on a truck and on the road:
Groundhog Day tomorrow. And no matter what that woodchuck does, pitchers and catchers report in less than two weeks.
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 12
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 157
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 29
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39