Feb 2, 2013, 6:41 PM EDT
Here’s Rich Dubroff, Orioles insider for CSNBaltimore.com:
“I don’t know the timing of it,” Orioles executive VP of baseball operations Dan Duquette said at last month’s Fan Fest. “The good news is that Matt’s signed for this year. He had a great year. He’s continuing to improve as an RBI man. His leadership and defense are big plusses for the team. We’re looking forward to having him do that, and hopefully have him beyond the three years we have him on the team.”
The betting is that the Orioles and Wieters will wait until after this season and address the issue with a lucrative, long-term deal with two years to go before free agency. Another successful season for Wieters and the Orioles will only make that deal more lucrative.
Wieters was eligible for salary arbitration this winter for the first time and landed a $5.5 million salary for 2013.
The 26-year-old catcher batted .249/.329/.435 with 23 home runs, 27 doubles and 83 RBI in 144 games last season for the American League Wild Card-winning O’s while earning Gold Glove honors for his exceptional defense behind the plate. He is currently under team control through the 2015 campaign.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 11
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 65
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 57
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 147
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (147)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)