Feb 2, 2013, 10:10 AM EDT
Fernando Rodney was quoted in Dominican newspaper El Dia earlier this week that he was closing in on a two-year extension with the Rays, but that report was quickly disputed by the club while Rodney’s agent, Dan Lozano, later said that his client was misquoted. However, Rodney told MLB.com’s Alden Gonzalez yesterday that he’s in talks with the Rays and is confident that he’ll eventually get an extension done.
“It’s in plans already,” Rodney said in Spanish on Friday, a few minutes before taking the field against Venezuela’s Navegantes de Magallanes at Sonora Stadium. “We’ve talked a few times, and I expect it to get finalized this month.”
“We’re still in the planning stages, still negotiating,” Rodney said. “You know, these negotiations take time because you have to weigh all your options.”
Asked if he was confident a deal would get finalized, Rodney said: “Of course.”
Rodney is already under contract for 2013, as the Rays exercised his $2.5 million option earlier this offseason. The 35-year-old right-hander is currently set to become a free agent this winter.
Rodney is obviously trying to strike while the iron is hot, as he is coming off an unexpectedly brilliant season in which he posted a 0.60 ERA, 48 saves and 76/15 K/BB ratio over 74 2/3 innings. His ERA was the lowest-ever for a pitcher with at least 50 innings pitched in a season. The previous record was held by Dennis Eckersley, who had an 0.61 ERA with the A’s in 1990.
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 3
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 9
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 17
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)