Feb 2, 2013, 2:20 PM EDT
Jemile Weeks entered last season as the Athletics’ starting second baseman, but a sophomore slump resulted in a demotion in August and being left off the postseason roster. But he’ll have a chance at redemption in 2013.
“I think it’s going to be a nice competition over there,” Melvin said. “Just because someone starts there Opening Day doesn’t mean someone else might not be there the next day based on a matchup.”
Adam Rosales and prospect Grant Green will also get looks during spring training, but Weeks and Sizemore are considered the favorites for the gig. Sizemore is coming off a lost season of his own, as he missed all of 2012 following surgery to repair a torn ACL in his left knee. He will also get playing time at third base during Cactus League play, but Josh Donaldson is expected to enter spring training with a job to lose.
After batting .303/.340/.421 with two homers, 22 stolen bases and a .761 OPS in 97 games as a rookie in 2011, Weeks delivered a disappointing .221/.305/.304 batting line in 118 games with the A’s last year. While the 26-year-old didn’t hit as many line drives last year, his .254 batting average on balls in play was incredibly low for someone with his speed. If he can make the proper adjustments and have some better luck, a rebound season could be in the cards.
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 4
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 61
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 17
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 27
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 31
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 18
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 84
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 30
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)