Feb 2, 2013, 8:22 PM EDT
As noted by the Associated Press, third baseman Pablo Sandoval led his Venezuelan Winter League team — Navegantes del Magallanes — to an 11-9 win on Wednesday night in the final game of the league’s championship series. It was the first league title for Navegantes del Magallanes since 2002.
Sandoval batted .300 with three home runs and nine RBI in the seven-game series, earning MVP honors. He told reporters afterward that it felt “very special to be champion” in his native country’s premier league.
“This time I did everything I could so that the Giants would let me play, to take this team to the title. It’s a dream come true,” Sandoval said Wednesday. “I feel very happy to have contributed and to have been selected as MVP.”
Sandoval was named the World Series MVP in October when the Giants took down the Tigers.
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (104)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)