Feb 2, 2013, 8:22 PM EDT
As noted by the Associated Press, third baseman Pablo Sandoval led his Venezuelan Winter League team — Navegantes del Magallanes — to an 11-9 win on Wednesday night in the final game of the league’s championship series. It was the first league title for Navegantes del Magallanes since 2002.
Sandoval batted .300 with three home runs and nine RBI in the seven-game series, earning MVP honors. He told reporters afterward that it felt “very special to be champion” in his native country’s premier league.
“This time I did everything I could so that the Giants would let me play, to take this team to the title. It’s a dream come true,” Sandoval said Wednesday. “I feel very happy to have contributed and to have been selected as MVP.”
Sandoval was named the World Series MVP in October when the Giants took down the Tigers.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 162
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 69
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 37
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (168)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)