Feb 2, 2013, 5:14 PM EDT
Melky Cabrera was included on the provisional roster for the Dominican Republic when it was announced last month, but he has apparently had a change of heart about participating in the upcoming World Baseball Classic. According to Dionisio Soldevila, a Spanish language reporter for the Associated Press and ESPN Deportes, Cabrera has withdrawn his name from the tournament.
It’s certainly interesting timing, as earlier this week the Miami New Times identified Cabrera as one of the players who allegedly purchased performance-enhancing drugs from the Biogensis clinic in Miami, but it’s not known whether the situation had an impact on his decision. Soldevila’s report merely says that Cabrera wants to spend spring training with the Blue Jays.
Cabrera served a 50-game suspension last season after testing positive for synthetic testosterone. He signed a two-year, $16 million contract with Toronto over the winter and is expected to serve as the club’s starting left fielder this season.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 0
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 0
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 127
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 37
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 97
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (128)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)