Feb 2, 2013, 5:14 PM EDT
Melky Cabrera was included on the provisional roster for the Dominican Republic when it was announced last month, but he has apparently had a change of heart about participating in the upcoming World Baseball Classic. According to Dionisio Soldevila, a Spanish language reporter for the Associated Press and ESPN Deportes, Cabrera has withdrawn his name from the tournament.
It’s certainly interesting timing, as earlier this week the Miami New Times identified Cabrera as one of the players who allegedly purchased performance-enhancing drugs from the Biogensis clinic in Miami, but it’s not known whether the situation had an impact on his decision. Soldevila’s report merely says that Cabrera wants to spend spring training with the Blue Jays.
Cabrera served a 50-game suspension last season after testing positive for synthetic testosterone. He signed a two-year, $16 million contract with Toronto over the winter and is expected to serve as the club’s starting left fielder this season.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 15
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17