Feb 2, 2013, 5:14 PM EDT
Melky Cabrera was included on the provisional roster for the Dominican Republic when it was announced last month, but he has apparently had a change of heart about participating in the upcoming World Baseball Classic. According to Dionisio Soldevila, a Spanish language reporter for the Associated Press and ESPN Deportes, Cabrera has withdrawn his name from the tournament.
It’s certainly interesting timing, as earlier this week the Miami New Times identified Cabrera as one of the players who allegedly purchased performance-enhancing drugs from the Biogensis clinic in Miami, but it’s not known whether the situation had an impact on his decision. Soldevila’s report merely says that Cabrera wants to spend spring training with the Blue Jays.
Cabrera served a 50-game suspension last season after testing positive for synthetic testosterone. He signed a two-year, $16 million contract with Toronto over the winter and is expected to serve as the club’s starting left fielder this season.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 77
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 51
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)