Feb 2, 2013, 8:59 AM EST
The Pirates agreed to a two-year, $12.75 million contract with left-hander Francisco Liriano in December, but the deal has yet to be finalized because he broke his right (non-throwing) arm in a bathroom fall. While FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal reported late last month that the two sides had agreed to a revised deal, it’s not quite done yet.
According to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, Pirates general manager Neal Huntington said yesterday that the club continues to negotiate with Liriano, but he was non-committal when asked whether a deal will be finalized prior to spring training.
“The process continues,” Huntington said. “We have ongoing conversations. I’m not an oddsmaker, so I don’t know if it is likely or unlikely that we will add another pitcher.”
The reported revised deal stipulated that Liriano would reduce his salary for 2013 if he missed any time on the disabled list due to his broken arm, but it’s clear that there’s still some difference of opinion. In fact, Tom Singer of MLB.com reported earlier this week that Liriano will likely end up coming to camp on a minor league deal. That’s some costly fall, though it’s possible that the Pirates just want to see him prove his health before they put pen to paper and add him on the 40-man roster.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)