Feb 2, 2013, 8:59 AM EDT
The Pirates agreed to a two-year, $12.75 million contract with left-hander Francisco Liriano in December, but the deal has yet to be finalized because he broke his right (non-throwing) arm in a bathroom fall. While FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal reported late last month that the two sides had agreed to a revised deal, it’s not quite done yet.
According to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, Pirates general manager Neal Huntington said yesterday that the club continues to negotiate with Liriano, but he was non-committal when asked whether a deal will be finalized prior to spring training.
“The process continues,” Huntington said. “We have ongoing conversations. I’m not an oddsmaker, so I don’t know if it is likely or unlikely that we will add another pitcher.”
The reported revised deal stipulated that Liriano would reduce his salary for 2013 if he missed any time on the disabled list due to his broken arm, but it’s clear that there’s still some difference of opinion. In fact, Tom Singer of MLB.com reported earlier this week that Liriano will likely end up coming to camp on a minor league deal. That’s some costly fall, though it’s possible that the Pirates just want to see him prove his health before they put pen to paper and add him on the 40-man roster.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)