Feb 3, 2013, 5:39 PM EDT
Hanley Ramirez played in the Dominican Winter League this offseason, is currently participating in the Caribbean Series, and has committed to suiting up for the Dominican Republic in the 2013 World Baseball Classic. But Ramirez has not — and will not — play shortstop in any of those events.
Which has the Dodgers’ front office concerned.
According to MLB.com’s Alden Gonzalez, Los Angeles management is growing “uneasy as its prized asset continues to play games outside the U.S. and away from shortstop.” Ramirez has been DHing in the Caribbean and will start at third base in the 2013 WBC.
“It’s really hard to say, ‘Don’t play for your country,'” Dodgers manager Don Mattingly told reporters recently at a charity event. “I’m kind of torn. Selfishly, I’d like Hanley to be in camp playing short every day.”
Ramirez already rates poorly at shortstop and obviously isn’t working to improve this offseason.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 31
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 91
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 8
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 9
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (93)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)