Feb 3, 2013, 5:39 PM EST
Hanley Ramirez played in the Dominican Winter League this offseason, is currently participating in the Caribbean Series, and has committed to suiting up for the Dominican Republic in the 2013 World Baseball Classic. But Ramirez has not — and will not — play shortstop in any of those events.
Which has the Dodgers’ front office concerned.
According to MLB.com’s Alden Gonzalez, Los Angeles management is growing “uneasy as its prized asset continues to play games outside the U.S. and away from shortstop.” Ramirez has been DHing in the Caribbean and will start at third base in the 2013 WBC.
“It’s really hard to say, ‘Don’t play for your country,'” Dodgers manager Don Mattingly told reporters recently at a charity event. “I’m kind of torn. Selfishly, I’d like Hanley to be in camp playing short every day.”
Ramirez already rates poorly at shortstop and obviously isn’t working to improve this offseason.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 68
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 158
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (159)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)