Kevin Millwood retiring after 16-year MLB career

Feb 3, 2013, 10:38 AM EDT

kevin millwood getty Getty Images

According to Richard Walker of the Shelby Star, 38-year-old right-hander Kevin Millwood announced Friday night at his old high school in Bessemer City, North Carolina that he is ending his baseball career.

“I’m just ready to retire,” Millwood told the Star. “I feel like I can still throw it well and going out on a high note is a big deal. I just felt it was time to be closer to home and to be around the kids more often.”

Millwood has two sons who are nearing their teenage years. He plans to spend his newfound down time hunting, fishing and coaching youth sports.

The former 11th-round draft pick posted a 4.11 ERA and 1.33 WHIP over the course of his 16-year major league career.

He played for the Braves, Phillies, Indians, Rangers, Orioles, Rockies and Mariners.

1. Old Gator - Feb 3, 2013 at 10:46 AM

It’s Millwood’s to discover that children are horrible,

In other news, Benny Agbayani has announced that he will not be representing Zamboanga in the World Baseball Classic.

2. proudlycanadian - Feb 3, 2013 at 10:52 AM

I guess this means that Millwood will not be representing the State of Georgia in the WBC.

• Old Gator - Feb 3, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Nope. And Anne Murray has just announced that she will not be representing Canada in the World Curling Test. She apparently prefers the bouffant look now.

• proudlycanadian - Feb 3, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Everyone knows that Anne Murray’s sport is golf.

• Old Gator - Feb 3, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Thank Buddha it isn’t a capella competition.

• Old Gator - Feb 3, 2013 at 12:38 PM

PS – proudly, did you guys actually invent curling, or was it already formed and waiting when the Vikings arrived?

• proudlycanadian - Feb 3, 2013 at 1:16 PM

The Scots invented Curling! We just perfected it. It takes a lot of skill to put each rock at the right speed, exactly where you want it.

• cur68 - Feb 3, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Lemme get this one.

Curling was purportedly invented by the Scotts. In fact, we Canucks let them claim the credit for it since they have so little else (we cool like that), but we all know that it’s really a Canadian game. It’s a variation of the game of golf, which we our Inuit fore-fathers invented. Like golf, it started as a way to clean up after the sled dogs. It still goes on today, just like our forebearers used to do it. As anyone who has a dog knows, sooner or later you’re out there, big ole poopie scoopie in hand, hunting in the snow, trekking across the ice, a-scoopin away. When you have a lot of dogs (and really, if you want to travel any distance at all, you need a lot of dogs) that can be a lot of mindless scoopin. Inevitably, one stops scoopin and will start “golfing”. If one has reached the “bagged” state with the scoopin one can “curl” the results, ice conditions depending.

There ya go. Don’t say I never taught you anything.

• cur68 - Feb 3, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Just ignore PC’s answer. He’s very generous and giving to the Scotts. Why, I have no idea, but he seems to like them for some reason.

• proudlycanadian - Feb 3, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Silly me. I stand corrected.

• Old Gator - Feb 3, 2013 at 1:55 PM

This has all been very educational but it doesn’t really get at why, despite some of the all-time great tushies you get to watch from extremely well-established angles, it still looks so damned silly.

By the way, I have told you my Mount Ste Anne sled dog story, haven’t I?

• historiophiliac - Feb 3, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Hmmm, I have a brother-in-law named Scott. I wonder if he is one of the aforementioned…

• nothanksimdriving123 - Feb 3, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Ah, curling, a breathtaking spectacle equaled in excitement only by cribbage, though watching paint dry comes close.

• cur68 - Feb 3, 2013 at 5:51 PM

The previous description of the Canadian Invention of curling was brought to you by the phrase “Shit, I hate curling*”: used ever time I find curling is on TV.

*may not apply depending on if its ladies curling. Some of those ladies…yowza.

• kiwicricket - Feb 3, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Curling…I knew there was a reason the world was racing to destroy all the ice.

• cur68 - Feb 3, 2013 at 6:10 PM

If I recall Gator, your Mt. St. Anne adventure involved you going dog sledding. As anyone who’s sat on a dog sled can verify, this involves the last dog on the team flinging/golfing whatever droppings are generated mid run at you by flailing paws. I do believe you also described the hearty experience of looking at the unwinking backsides of a dozen dogs. As stories go, one can’t soon put that one away.

3. dirtydrew - Feb 3, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Good pitcher. Thought he was going to be great coming up with the Braves.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Feb 3, 2013 at 4:03 PM

And I believe Millwood’s name makes up exactly half the list of MLB pitchers who have pitched both a solo no-hitter and been involved in a combined no-hitter. OK, diamond mavens, name the other. The tock is clicking…

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Feb 3, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Vida Blue?

• nothanksimdriving123 - Feb 3, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Well, looks like half my power went out too. That is correct on Vida Blue, but my recollection of the list having just 2 names was slightly off. Woopsie. There is another pitcher on the list by the name of Witt.

4. jimbo75025 - Feb 3, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Wow, I did not even realize he was still around-he kind of disappeared a bit after leaving the Braves.

“This guy’s dead ! Well cross him off the list then.”

5. tfbuckfutter - Feb 3, 2013 at 11:48 AM

It’s wise of him to quit after a decent season.

Considering you never knew what the hell you could expect from him from one year to the next.

6. latchbeam - Feb 3, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Great guy and a good, smart pitcher! I used to watch his mechanics, very smooth and consistent. I could see him being an announcer, analyst or coach somewhere soon… Good luck Kevin!

7. cosanostra71 - Feb 3, 2013 at 2:38 PM

He had an impressive career, good luck to him.

8. vendolius - Feb 3, 2013 at 5:04 PM

I was there at the Vet in the seats behind home plate back on April 27th, 2003 when he pitched his no-hitter against the Giants. It was only the second game I had ever been to and it was awesome. Thanks, Kevin, for the awesome memory. Have a great retirement!

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3640)