Feb 3, 2013, 4:14 PM EDT
Hey, a baseball signing on Super Bowl Sunday.
Lyon posted a solid 3.10 ERA and 1.25 WHIP in 67 relief appearances last season between the Astros and Blue Jays, striking out 63 batters in 61 total innings. The 33-year-old owns a 4.12 career ERA.
Lyon will presumably serve in a setup role this summer for New York. He also has experience in the ninth inning, though, and will be capable of providing insurance at closer behind Frank Francisco, who struggled mightily during the 2012 campaign.
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 24
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 17
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 44
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 39
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 20
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 158
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 33
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (158)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)