Feb 3, 2013, 4:14 PM EDT
Hey, a baseball signing on Super Bowl Sunday.
Lyon posted a solid 3.10 ERA and 1.25 WHIP in 67 relief appearances last season between the Astros and Blue Jays, striking out 63 batters in 61 total innings. The 33-year-old owns a 4.12 career ERA.
Lyon will presumably serve in a setup role this summer for New York. He also has experience in the ninth inning, though, and will be capable of providing insurance at closer behind Frank Francisco, who struggled mightily during the 2012 campaign.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 17
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 30
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 27
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)