Feb 3, 2013, 4:14 PM EDT
Hey, a baseball signing on Super Bowl Sunday.
Lyon posted a solid 3.10 ERA and 1.25 WHIP in 67 relief appearances last season between the Astros and Blue Jays, striking out 63 batters in 61 total innings. The 33-year-old owns a 4.12 career ERA.
Lyon will presumably serve in a setup role this summer for New York. He also has experience in the ninth inning, though, and will be capable of providing insurance at closer behind Frank Francisco, who struggled mightily during the 2012 campaign.
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 20
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 16
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 15
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 6
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 31
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)