Feb 3, 2013, 4:14 PM EDT
Hey, a baseball signing on Super Bowl Sunday.
Lyon posted a solid 3.10 ERA and 1.25 WHIP in 67 relief appearances last season between the Astros and Blue Jays, striking out 63 batters in 61 total innings. The 33-year-old owns a 4.12 career ERA.
Lyon will presumably serve in a setup role this summer for New York. He also has experience in the ninth inning, though, and will be capable of providing insurance at closer behind Frank Francisco, who struggled mightily during the 2012 campaign.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 11
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 16
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)