Feb 3, 2013, 9:12 AM EST
Veteran left-hander Arthur Rhodes worked out in front of Orioles officials last week at Camden Yards with the hope of scoring an invitation to big league camp. But it’s not going to happen.
Here’s beat writer Roch Kubatko of MASNSports.com:
Someone else in the organization described Rhodes’ tryout as a “courtesy.” Rhodes approached the Orioles about it. He wanted to find out whether he had anything left in the tank. The Orioles aren’t going to sign him.
Rhodes did not pitch professionally in 2012 and posted an uninspiring 4.64 ERA in 33 innings between the Rangers and Cardinals in 2011. The 43-year-old may simply hang it up.
The Orioles also gave a tryout last week to Fernando Tatis but probably won’t sign him either.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (131)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)