Feb 3, 2013, 9:12 AM EST
Veteran left-hander Arthur Rhodes worked out in front of Orioles officials last week at Camden Yards with the hope of scoring an invitation to big league camp. But it’s not going to happen.
Here’s beat writer Roch Kubatko of MASNSports.com:
Someone else in the organization described Rhodes’ tryout as a “courtesy.” Rhodes approached the Orioles about it. He wanted to find out whether he had anything left in the tank. The Orioles aren’t going to sign him.
Rhodes did not pitch professionally in 2012 and posted an uninspiring 4.64 ERA in 33 innings between the Rangers and Cardinals in 2011. The 43-year-old may simply hang it up.
The Orioles also gave a tryout last week to Fernando Tatis but probably won’t sign him either.
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 0
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 289
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (289)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)