Feb 3, 2013, 11:57 AM EST
According to beat writer Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times, there was “some chatter last week” around the Rays organization that a trade could be in the works involving utility infielder Reid Brignac.
Brignac is a steady defender and is capable of playing all around the diamond, but he batted just .095 with a .136 on-base percentage in 22 plate appearances last season for the Rays and owns a weak .227/.268/.317 career slash line in the majors.
Brignac is only 27 years old but probably wouldn’t fetch much of a return package.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 48
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)