Feb 3, 2013, 11:57 AM EST
According to beat writer Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times, there was “some chatter last week” around the Rays organization that a trade could be in the works involving utility infielder Reid Brignac.
Brignac is a steady defender and is capable of playing all around the diamond, but he batted just .095 with a .136 on-base percentage in 22 plate appearances last season for the Rays and owns a weak .227/.268/.317 career slash line in the majors.
Brignac is only 27 years old but probably wouldn’t fetch much of a return package.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 7
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 53
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 139
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 35
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (139)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)