Feb 3, 2013, 7:02 PM EDT
“I was told money was tight,” veteran outfielder Torii Hunter tweeted on December 13, shortly after the Angels signed Josh Hamilton to a five-year, $125 million free agent contract. “But I guess [Angels owner Arte Moreno] had money hidden under a mattress. Business is business but don’t lie.”
Hunter later claimed that he was joking, but it’s quite obvious that some of those feelings came from a place of true frustration. Here’s Mike DiGiovanna, Angels beat writer for the Los Angeles Times:
Hunter said he was “trying to be funny” in his tweet, adding that the Angels organization “is A-1; I had a blast there.” But he also felt misled. “Just tell me straight up that you don’t want me,” Hunter said, “and I’ll be fine with that.”
Hunter signed a two-year, $26 million contract with the Tigers in mid-November after getting only a one-year, $5 million offer from the Halos. The 37-year-old batted .313/.365/.451 with 16 home runs and 92 RBI in 140 games last season for Anaheim. He is a .277/.335/.466 career hitter in MLB.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Zack Wheeler goes six scoreless innings in MLB debut 15
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 43
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead