A burst pipe ruins artifacts at the Baseball Heritage Museum in Cleveland

Feb 4, 2013, 4:57 PM EDT

Burst pipe

I’ve never been to the Baseball Heritage Museum in Cleveland, which houses all manner of artifacts from the Negro Leagues as well as old-timey Latin American baseball stuff.  But I’ve heard good things about it and had made a point to check it out next time I’m there. Unfortunately, it may not be there. And if it is, it may be light on memorabilia:

A flood at the Baseball Heritage & Broadcast Museum in the Colonial Arcade destroyed part of Cleveland’s history a week ago. A pipe burst in the ceiling of the museum and went unnoticed for several days, creating 4-8 inches of water on the basement floor.

It’s also a broadcasting museum, and according to the article most of the damage was in that portion.

Sad jams.

1. mj1818 - Feb 4, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Cleveland lost another important part of sports. First the browns, then lebron, now this? Maybe the browns should be moved to Toronto.

2. matmom - Feb 4, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Nooooooooooooo! :(

3. randygnyc - Feb 4, 2013 at 5:45 PM

I’m an artifact/memorabilia guy. Who was responsible for safeguarding these precious memories. Unless the building floated away, these things shouldn’t have been water damaged, unless they were negligently stored on or in close proximity to te floor.

• fanofevilempire - Feb 4, 2013 at 6:50 PM

the picture for the story doesn’t match.
      the picture shows a pin hole in your copper pipe from your hot water tank.
      the story says their was a busted pipe in the ceiling.
      someone in the research dept. should be fired immediately.

• fanofevilempire - Feb 4, 2013 at 6:51 PM

dude, their was a busted pipe in the ceiling. Relax,shite happens!

• jarathen - Feb 5, 2013 at 7:55 AM

It does. I was all set to go to a Blue Man Group show when the pipes over the performing arts center kerploded, ruining the equipment and stage and postponing the show for 7 months.

Seven months later, all was well.

• aattura - Feb 5, 2013 at 10:55 AM

From what I remember of my visit there last year– the exhibits were SPOTLESS, well-presented and very well put together. Nothing was negligently stored as far as I could tell, and the basement and the upper floors are LARGE. I am SO SORRY for this loss!!!!

4. fanofevilempire - Feb 4, 2013 at 6:54 PM

made a mistake in each post, I should have spelled there, I caught the mistake before the spelling police.

5. aattura - Feb 5, 2013 at 10:53 AM

OH NO!!!!!!!! I hope that collectors Out There who read about this can help, by perhaps donating some of their extra pertinent artifacts to this exceptional museum. I have seen their basement exhibits and they were GREAT!!!!! VERY VERY sad that this has happened!!!!

I also HOPE that the BB Heritage Museum can afford the repairs !!!

A's, Tigers big winners at trade deadline