Feb 4, 2013, 8:52 AM EDT
You won’t be surprised to hear that I did not watch the Super Bowl. I’m not trying to act all superior or anything or make some anti-football statement. Just saying that I didn’t watch it because the NFL is not my thing. Instead I watched several “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia” episodes, with the “Who pooped the bed?” episode standing out as the absolute topper.
OK, maybe I am trying to act superior. That show is the best.
Anyway, Joe Sheehan did watch the game and he wrote about how anyone telling you that the third quarter power outage changed the momentum of the game and allowed the 49ers nearly successful comeback to get going is full of beans.
No, it has nothing to do with baseball. But baseball has plenty of false narrative of its own. Normally that false narrative starts in some obscure play in some obscure game or bit of history and people tend not to question it because looking back at what really happened is difficult. The Super Bowl blackout false narrative is great, though, because everyone in the world who doesn’t have the good sense to watch “Always Sunny” marathons was watching it so anyone passing it off as the reason for the 49ers comeback is engaging in some particularly bold and obvious narrative-mongering.
Be ever-vigilant, my friends. The forces of false narrative are always out there waiting to take advantage of the gullible. Don’t let them.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (136)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)